007 Nightfire won't start in XP

Anyone have any suggestions other than the one EA gives you for getting 007 Nightfire running on XP w/SP1 and all the updated drivers for Creative Audigy and ATI Radeon 8500DV? I'm bummed. I get the splash screen and then a black screen for a few seconds and BAM! back to the desktop.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-27
Anyone have any suggestions other than the one EA gives you for getting 007 Nightfire running on XP w/SP1 and all the updated drivers for Creative Audigy and ATI Radeon 8500DV? I'm bummed. I get the splash screen and then a black screen for a few seconds and BAM! back to the desktop.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-13
If you are running the new 3.0 Catalyst driver (for your ATI card) that may be your problem.
I have trouble with a few games now that I have them installed.
Did you have any problems with the game when you ran the Catalyst 2.5?
If you didn't then you might want to go back to that driver set.
Try that and see if it helps.
S

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-27
OP
I was using Catalyst 2.5 at this point. I tried Omega's Radeon drivers that are tweaked for gaming and I still got the same results. Game won't start in WinXP. Period. Gotta be the video card or drivers. Posted email toe EA tech support. Maybe, just maybe, will get a response. Thanks.

sww

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1623 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-12-06
sounds like your direct X installation or something along those lines are broken. I had something like this happen to me, the only way to fix it was to format.

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-27
OP
Installed ATI Catalyst drivers 3.0 and upgraded Direct to 9. DxDiag posts no problems and all other games work fine (including Battlefield 1942, Mech 4). I even tried a NoCD hack to make sure it wasn't hitting a bad spot on the CD or something. Nothing works. Tried all kinds of AGP settings, Direct3D settings, sound card settings, video settings, refresh rates. Yu name it, I've tried it (I think I hit everything). I think its a Radeon A-I-W 8500DV problem with the game, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reply.
sww

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1623 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-12-06
could very well be =/. I had the wierdest problem, my system would not accept any drivers but the 42.01 WDM drivers i think they were in order to get AGP acceleration and have D3d work. So i got sick of the crap and formatted. My vid card is a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and as you said you have a ATI.

Nightfire is built on the decrepit Half-Life engine as well so that is a problem in and of itself trying to run new hardware on an old engine. Why EA chose gearbox and that engine beats the hell out of me 8)

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-27
OP
They ahd me rename the MOVIES folder to MOVIES.OLD so that the game could not find them on the hard drive. The game therefore asked for the 2nd CD which is where the movies are located. These are just cut scenes and such and don't play as smooth (thy are AVI files) from the CD but the game plays! They said they are still looking into the root cause as to why they won't play from the hard drive.

SWW

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
try installing AVI codecs?

i put it in (the game) and ran fine - but i also watch AVi movies and so i have a few diff types of video codecs in my system.

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-27
OP
Well, the AVI codecs are standard with Microsloth's Media Player and that is installed (and upgraded) so that's not really the issue. Besides, I opened the MOVIES folder and watched several of them by running them. Its got something to do with the way they are loaded, or at least the opening sequence, because I noticed that there is no sound with the intro AVI. Only with the cut scenes. I also noticed that the they are using the ogg vorbis files for a lot of the sound. I'm no expert here, but its kinda fishy to me.

The games works, though, and I see/hear everything.

sww

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

671 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-05-04
I'm sure there was a patch on Windows Update for games that suffer problems when trying to run movies clips. Have you got that particular update installed?

It might be worth having a look to see if it can be removed, and then reinstall that update.

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
Quote:Well, the AVI codecs are standard with Microsloth's Media Player and that is installed (and upgraded) so that's not really the issue.

sww

Actually, the AVi's i get media player will not play until i put in other codecs.

but others wise, i am really not sure on this one. usually if there are no codecs it will only play sound and not video. weird, vewy vewy weird!

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-09
I am having exactly the same problem with Electonic Arts/Westwood's Earth and Beyond. I have ran it before on a "test" version of Windows XP Pro Corporate, no problems, but, I bought my own copy of XP Pro SP1, and now it won't even get to the EULA before it crashes to desktop. I am baffled and so is EA.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
I don't have the game so I cannot help you except for these guidelines:

If you bought it then return it.
If you Warezed it then delete it.
If it's produced by EA then STAY AWAY FROM IT!

Obviously Gearbox didn't care about it, and EA doesn't so why should you?

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

124 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-23
my friend had this problem.
One of the things i suggested was installing the indeo codec since win XP sp1 (a) does not come with it.

I also suggested a few other things i can't remember.

But the game worked after...

Video clips played...and the mouse cursor moved at a normal speed on the second menu