100GB HD, only getting 93GB... Help please.

I have a WD 100GB hard drive. And in Win2k Server it is only showing up as 93. 2GB hard drive. . . If I recall i think there is a way to get the full capacity I just don't remember. Can someone please tell me how to do it and what is involved? Thanks.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

467 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-06-27
I have a WD 100GB hard drive. And in Win2k Server it is only showing up as 93.2GB hard drive... If I recall i think there is a way to get the full capacity I just don't remember. Can someone please tell me how to do it and what is involved?

Thanks.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Well, depending on the 'fuzzy math' used, that's probably accurate. You see, drive manufacturers are slightly decieving about storage capacity. To drive makers, 1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes whereas in actuality, 1GB=1,073,741,824 bytes. So, you're probably getting access to the complete drive, less the 8MB unpartitioned space req'd by 2k/xp.

467 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-06-27
OP
Hmmm I swear though somewhere I read on WDs site about getting the "full potential" of your HD... But I can't find it there anymore. I think this meant some sort of application or something to allow you to access the full capacity of the drive.

I could be wrong but I'd like to know...

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Your are getting the full capacity. The program mentioned is a program that loads onto your MBR before your OS boots that enables your computer to support larger HD capacities if your HD controller is very old. All DMA 100-133 cards support 120GB+. It's only dealing with contoller cards At or below DMA/66 that you may have trouble with HD's larger than that.

467 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-06-27
OP
Oh....

Damn! I was hoping for a few extra GBs... I need it!

LOL I should go buy a few of those 200GB drives. Still not enough though.

Thanks for da help!