A cool trick (req: WIn2k/XP, >= 512MB RAM)

This is a cool trick for al those of you running Windows 2000 or XP and have at LEAST 512 MB of RAM (hint hint: time to shell out memory for that RAM chip you wanted). First of all, I must give credit to where i found this trick.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
This is a cool trick for al those of you running Windows 2000 or XP and have at LEAST 512 MB of RAM (hint hint: time to shell out memory for that RAM chip you wanted).

First of all, I must give credit to where i found this trick.

[credits]
PC Magazine March 11, 2003 "Speed Up Your PC: 32 Turbocharging Tips" by Winn L. Rosch and Otto Steininger. Tip # 12 page 93 "Lock the Windows kernel in RAM."
[/credits]

This trick allows you to force Windows to load its kernel entirely into your RAM, which should help with perfomance a bit.
Again, proper credit is given to PCMag and the author (above) for listing this.

1.)Open up RegEdit (Start -> Run -> regedit -> enter)

2.) Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Session Manager\Memory Management

3.) Then right click on "DisablePagingExecutive", click "modify", enter a 1 then click on OK.

4.) Close regedit

5.) Reboot

Hope this tricks helps your performance

DICLAIMER:
I AM IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THIS MIGHT INCUR ON YOUR SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, OR ANYTHING ELSE! BY USING THIS REGISTRY SETTING YOU AGREE TO HOLD ME NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY ARISE, AND FURTHER AGREE YOU UNDERSTAND IT WOULD BE WISE TO BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE DOING THIS. YOU ALSO RECOGNIZE THAT THIS TRICK MAY OR MAY NOT RENDER YOUR WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM INOPERABLE, UNUSABLE, OR UNSTABLE

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1615 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-25
dude i think that is one of those tweaks that doesn't really do anything.

someone on this board explained why a while ago

i think it was something to the effect of that is a reg setting that has been there since nt3 bot it doesn't get used anymore

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
OP
I am terribly sorry If my post was just a waste of space, as that was NOT the intent. I just found this on PCMag (quoted and credited above) and they seem like a very credible source. So I figured for people with plenty of RAm this would be a tremendous boost in performance.
Again, i truly appologize if this does not do much, if anything.

Although I must agree with AlecStaar. Perhaps a breif description or "review" if you may of why this may not work would be a good idea, not just for me and alecStaar, but for others who may have an interest in this topic.