Abit BE6-II and Geforce 4 mx4000 Problem

I have an old abit be6-2 motherboard (p3-550,512sdram) and i wanted to beef up the graphics, so i went out to buy a cheap gfx card. I decided upon a fx5200 (agp 8x $99 AUS). Took it home and it didn't work! im guessing it something to do with the be6 being agp 1x,2x (maybe 4x?)and 3.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar08.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-29
I have an old abit be6-2 motherboard (p3-550,512sdram) and i wanted to beef up the graphics, so i went out to buy a cheap gfx card.I decided upon a fx5200 (agp 8x $99 AUS).Took it home and it didn't work! im guessing it something to do with the be6 being agp 1x,2x (maybe 4x?)and 3.3v where as the new card is agp 8x and 1.5v.I Swapped the card for an older model - Geforce 4 mx4000 and hoped for the best.... It worked!! YEY!....For 3 days then when i tried to turn the machine on it gave out 2 beeps (no gfx card) so i swapped the card for my old matrox g400 and the machine worked again. The shop exchanged the card(g4mx4000) for a new one.

The question is, if i install the new card is it gonna blow like the last one because of some reason Or was the last card i had a Dud? I don't really wont to risk putting it back in....

Thanks for your time.

Martin Hanebach
pointfile@yahoo.com.au

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Your best bet on a machine that old is to forget AGP since it only emulates 2X. Get a PCI card - Nvidia has a 5200FX PCI card for that machine that works fine.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-29
OP
Thanks for the replys...

Even after a bios flash (and lots of bios tweaking) the be6-II wouldn't except that the fx5200 pci even existed!!! i tried the card in a friends new machine and it works fine. Dammit!

So Neither NEW AGP OR PCI works in my old beast!

I have a solution tho'

I went out last night and bought an old Hercules Geforce3 64mb (made around 2001) SecondHand and that works perfectly!

-If all else fails buy from the same era!

Thanks again for your help.

M.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-29
OP
Thanks for the replys...

Even after a bios flash (and lots of bios tweaking) the be6-II wouldn't except that the fx5200 pci even existed!!! i tried the card in a friends new machine and it works fine. Dammit!

I have a solution tho'

I went out last night and bought an old Hercules Geforce3 64mb (made around 2001) SecondHand and that works perfectly!

M.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-29
OP
Thanks for the replys...

I have a solution tho'

M.

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-17
i buy (AGP)MSI mx4000-t64 64mb ddr 32bits tv-out 54.95 canadien dollars. and the card work good on my abit be6 on my agp slot.
i think the cards was built to work with agp 1x-2x-4x and 8x