Air Duct on Side of case = 7-12C cooler CPU temps... WOW!

wow i am impressed i bought a new case today - the only change from my old case is that it has a fan cut out right at the CPU level - with a duct about 4 inches long, that can extend to touch the CPU fan.

Slack Space 1613 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
wow

i am impressed

i bought a new case today - the only change from my old case is that it has a fan cut out right at the CPU level - with a duct about 4 inches long, that can extend to touch the CPU fan.(it is adjustable)

on normal (not overclocked) the cpu - a p4 2.4a on %100 load after running seti for a day or so would hit anywhere from 43-48C - ambient temps around 30-34C

with this duct - to which i added an 80mm fan between the duct and the case (only 2800RPM) as opposed to just the duct going down to the CPU from the side panel - which has a thermaltake Sparl A1545 ( http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/spark/a1545.htm) they say a MAX of 6000 RPM - but mine goes upto 6800 RPM!!!! - the temp now after running seti almost all day and night, over 13 hours is sitting @ a cool 36C. with the Spark sitting around 5900RPM as it always does.

My ambient temp which would sit around 31-31 is now at 32c solid it seems- Today was a very ho and sticky day as well - so i thought it would get hotter, but it didnt'!

I am really suprised at how much this "duct" has cooled my case.

i have 2 80mm in the front of the case and 2 x 80mm in the back - same as i had before on my other case. for a total of 5 80mm fans - all run around 2800 RPM on average.

Some pics

So yeah, go out and get some ducts!

this system is currently running cooler then my water cooling rig was! - but it was not realyl set up right

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Ah a very familiar case for me, we use these for a couple of our clients now. We call them Super Cases as this is the name on the boxes we get from our vendor

We noticed that both the Biege and the Black ones are coming with these ducts and the first thing I wondered is why there isn't a fan attached to the duct for added cooling ;(

The cases we get always have an auxillary exhaust fan so they could've added one here too

However I still prefer the Aopen H600's for most of my own personal boxes or the H700 for servers/workstations.

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
OP
I think tey do not come iwth a fan as if anything - i ams lowing the flow of air.

the CPU fan runs around 5900 RPM - where as the 80mm only runs around 2800 - so really i am restricting air flow from the out side - i should take the fan off see if i chang the temo even more.

the place here does not have many cases and i was sick of looking t my old ugly one i hacked to death witha dremel

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
OP
well today is is a cool day and some what rainy and i put it up to 2.77 (115FSB) and it is still sitting @ 36C.

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
Cool. I run my 2,4 Celeron on 116FSB aprox 2,8GHz, and today is a cool day an my cpu is at 53°C

I plan to upgrade my cooling and a cool tube that sucks hot air from the cpu right out the case seems like a good idea.

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
OP
^^^^

how are you planning on putting that tube in?

it would liekly be better just to have like mine the duct in from the side panel right to the CPU allowing for cool air to be sucked IN onto the cpu - then put in same case fans in the back and and some in the front so all air gets sucked out the back.

otherwise if u have it sucking OUT - then u will be sucking in the case air which will be warm over the cpu heat sink then out..

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

694 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-06-10
i'll give u a little hint.
turn that thing into a venturi and the incoming air temp can drop almost to freezing (or about 40 degrees below oat).

no one makes em so i make my own sometimes