ASUS A7M266-D with WinXP unstable to the maxx.

From day one my machine has been extremely unstable. Basically I can't do much of anything for any period of time. The system crashes at the drop of a hat. If I drag to resize a window it crashes, if I try to load any media it crashes.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-17
From day one my machine has been extremely unstable. Basically I can't do much of anything for any period of time. The system crashes at the drop of a hat. If I drag to resize a window it crashes, if I try to load any media it crashes. It is constantly terminating Windows Explorer unexpectedly. All the Event ID's are #1000. I lean to one side raise my left foot and it still klunks to a stop. Every piece of hardware is new. I have downloaded all the lateset bios and drivers I can find. Everything installed perfect but I can not get it to operate for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Up'ed to SP1 for XP. Haven't installed any real software so to speak because I can't get it to that point. Does anyone have a clue as what needs to be done?

HARDWARE:
ASUS A7M266-D MOTHERBOARD bios 1009
2-DDRAM 512MB|64X64 PC-2100 MUSHKIN (unregistered)
2-CPU AMD|ATHLON MP 2000+ 1.67 GHz
VGA ASUS|V9180TD 64MB MX440 @8X
CDRW 44X24X44|YMH IDE CRWF1ENB10
CDRW 24X10X24 LIT-ON
CASE CHIEF|SVR BLK DX-01BD
ENERMAX 550 WATT POWER SUPPLY
FD 1.44MB|SAMSUNG SFD321B/KEBL1
SWITCH BOX|KVM 2PT W/3FT CBL 3 IN 1

OPERATING SYS:
WIN XP PRO SP1

Any advice will be greatly appriciated. So I am saying "Thanks" in advance.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Test your RAM. I've seen it be bad from the factory. Also, if you have a spare power supply, try that, too.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
Secondly take out all cards apart from the vid card and 1 card of ram and boot it with the minimum, see if you can run it then without a problem, if it runs ok then add a card each time.

If not then check your cpu temps and make sure all hardware is seated nicely.