ASUS P4E-X/TE going 800MHz FSB

Last month I did a major upgrade and now have a motherboard (changed from the old ASUS P4S133, mainly so I could migrate to DDR RAM from SDR RAM). After getting past the little hassles (doing an install-repair of Windows XP and stuff), everything's running a little better (eg I got a 2000 3DMarks increase in 3DMark ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

139 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-29
Last month I did a major upgrade and now have a ASUS P4PE-X/TE motherboard (changed from the old ASUS P4S133, mainly so I could migrate to DDR RAM from SDR RAM). After getting past the little hassles (doing an install-repair of Windows XP and stuff), everything's running a little better (eg I got a 2000 3DMarks increase in 3DMark2001). I'm still keeping the same CPU for now (Pentium4 2GHz, so 400MHz FSB, but the RAM speed is set to 266MHz). Now ASUS claims this mobo can use C series Pentium4's (those using 800MHz FSBs) despite the fact that it uses the i845 Chipsets, provided that ASUS recommended PC3200 SDRAMs are used, and only 1 SDRAM stick is installed in the motherboard. Brought this up with the dealer where I bought the mobo (because, along with the mobo, I purchased 2 256MB PC3200 SDRAM sticks), and the store tech says I can disregard that guideline since they tested it with 2 PC3200 sticks and got it to work with a 3GHz Pentium4C.

Anyone else try this motherboard? I know it's a rather new release judging from the fact that there are no reviews of it around yet. I'm just concerned whether I made a good investment or not (my purchase decision was influenced by the fact that I'm brand loyal to ASUS when it comes to motherboards; almost all motherboards I've used from Pentium 100 to Pentium 4 were ASUS boards, and all have been great buys).

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.