BIOS problems on Advent 5480 Laptop

Hey Folks, I was hoping that one of you fine people could help me. A mate has asked me to upgrade his Advent 5480 Laptop top from WinMe -> WinXP Pro. This was all working out just fine, the operating system installed fine, and everything went well (.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-31
Hey Folks,

I was hoping that one of you fine people could help me. A mate has asked me to upgrade his Advent 5480 Laptop top from WinMe -> WinXP Pro. This was all working out just fine, the operating system installed fine, and everything went well (..or so I thought).
The next day I started the laptop and before the OS menu came up a blue screen of death occured, warning me that the ACPI was incompatible with the OS, and that I should check www.hardware-updates.com for a BIOS update. This site looks fake, and has very little to do with computers. Another wierd thing about this problem is that it doesn't come up all the time, next time I started her, she started fine. Then the next time the same problem reoccured.

Any help I recieve on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Jiggy

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-25
I have a similar problem to that described, has anyone got a solution?
thanks
Jon

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-30
I have been running into the same thing I thought My hard drive was going so I replaced it, but same issue it will goa a few days with no problems then I will have to reboot 3 or 4 time to get passed the blue sreen then I'm set for a few more days. my next thought is my motherboard is bad, but the hardware site mentioned in the Blue Screen seems bogus, so that leads so my next thought was is there some adware or virus that is capable of causing this problem? Any help would be nice.

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-25
i think i may have found a way around this problem, go into the BIOS and disable the power management system and this seems to stop the blue screen appearing.
jon

data/avatar/default/avatar11.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-08
My laptop kept hangin at the welcome screen following a fresh installation of WinXp pro, It initially installed and ran ok but after the 3rd bootup it hung and told me it it had a product activation error, after re-installing xp 3 times and getting the same result I finally tried a clean install with a WinXp pro disk with XP sp2 slipstreamed into it, boots every time ok now, only 1 minor niggle to sort, sound drivers installed ok all looks well but no sound coming out of pc!!
Any ideas would be welcome...

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-20
Hi there. I've just had exactly the problem you describe on the Advent 5480 laptop. Blue screen of death followed bu update bios, go to hardware-updates.com which did look dodge. So I got the bios for the advent from http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=121672. You have to join, but it's no hassle and free. It seems to work. I've rebooted three times with no blue screen. Make sure you chack the number on the bottom of your laptop to ensure it matches. And I suppose I should say this is all at your own risk. There's warnings all over the driver site. As I said for me it seems so far so good.

Hope that helps.

Richard