Cannot install IE hotfix 834707

When I try and install hotfix 834707 (the latest Internet Explorer update), the update program tells me I have an incorrect version of Internet Explorer. I'm running Win2k SP4 with IE 5. 01 The hotfix was listed for Win2k SP4 (with IE5.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

302 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
When I try and install hotfix 834707 (the latest Internet Explorer update), the update program tells me I have an incorrect version of Internet Explorer.

I'm running Win2k SP4 with IE 5.01

The hotfix was listed for Win2k SP4 (with IE5.01), what else can I try?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

302 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
OP
Thanks (as always) for your reponse APK,

The reson I don't use versions of IE beyond 5.01 is because the features MS added to 5.5 and 6.0 I do not need. I keep a stable unbloated system (as far as is possible) by only installing updates that actually fix problems I'm experiencing or include features that I would use on a regular basis.

I see that Opera has a beta available for 7.60, I'll wait for the 'finished' version I think. Much as I like Firefox, Opera tends to render pages faster and has a shed load of features built-in that you need to find plugins for with Mozilla based stuff (Opera's less resource hungry too I find).

I think I will have to do what you suggest and manually extract the files (I have had to resort to this trick on more than one occasion with a 'stubborn' hotfix!) However the patch includes updates to the registry which block numerous dodgy activex controls. I could always merge those manually I suppose *sigh*, but since I only have activex enabled for my trusted sites (very trusted!) then I don't think I need to bother, as I have IE set up to prompt me before attempting install anything!