Creative CS5233E CD ROM

Worked fine under 98, can't get it out of P10 mode in XP. I have it hooked up as device 0 on the secondary IDE cable with a Zip drive. i tried unhooking the zip and it didn't help. Transferring from it is very slow and sometimes I get I get error reading drive.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-29
Worked fine under 98, can't get it out of P10 mode in XP. I have it hooked up as device 0 on the secondary IDE cable with a Zip drive. i tried unhooking the zip and it didn't help. Transferring from it is very slow and sometimes I get I get error reading drive. Shouldn't it be DMA? I checked the bios setup and it is auto detecting P10 mode 4. I can't find any xp drivers for it.

Asus A7V8X athlon 2200+
Creative CS5233E
iomega zip 100
yamaha CRW64167 SCSI
maxtor 6Y080LO

Don't know what else to list.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
In device manager check primary and secondary IDE chanells. In the advanced settings tab check if you got "DMA if available" selected. Also check if you have latest via4in1 drivers installed (I think your mobo has a via chipset)

Took me a while to figure that P10 ment PIO.

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-29
OP
yes I checked the ide channel dma settings in device manager. The fact that the bios isn't detecting dma mode seem to me like the problem. Does asus update update my 4in1 drivers? I have the newest one. My chipset is: northbridge VIA KT400 and southbridge VIA VT8235. PIO eh? heh, thanks

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-29
OP
oops, yes. that's what I meant by "the latest one". I don't know about the 4in1. is that a seperate update?

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
I get the same problem with my DVDDrive on my P4, i had this problem when i had my AthlonXP on it, so i am figuring for the time being that its the drive or cable. I only get problems copying from CD-R's so i have to use my Writer for that.

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-29
OP
Well i guess I'll just throw a little money at the problem and see what happens.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

430 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-04-09
Quote:I get the same problem with my DVDDrive on my P4, i had this problem when i had my AthlonXP on it, so i am figuring for the time being that its the drive or cable. I only get problems copying from CD-R's so i have to use my Writer for that.

Well its strange because i just bought a 48x LG CDRWDRive and that is working at UDMA2 and my DVDDrive is working at UDMA2 aswell. :x

Man computers are crazy, maybe my older CDRW Drive hogged the IDE Channel or something?

data/avatar/default/avatar15.webp

1047 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-04-17
I have this problem with Windows XP SP1, with an LG 52X CD Drive, every other OS enables DMA for it except XP SP1. I don't know why. I remember that the CD Burner update for XP also gave me this problem.