Dell Dimension 8200 system board manual?

I'm about to add a 4-port USB 2 hub (yes I flashed my bios already), plus my original 40G harddrive in is failing, so I want to get my hands on a mother board manual quick before I intervene. I believe the board is: ACPI\PNPOC01\1, Microsoft ACPI-compliant.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-16
I'm about to add a 4-port USB 2 hub (yes I flashed my bios already), plus my original 40G harddrive in is failing, so I want to get my hands on a mother board manual quick before I intervene.

I believe the board is: ACPI\PNPOC01\1, Microsoft ACPI-compliant.

I can't seem to find anything of the kind with my original documentation (yes, I kept it all together), nor on the web.

Questions:
Is the "Solutions Guide", which ships with the Dimension, meant to take the place of the system board manual? It covers most of the relevant information, but I still feel insecure about moving forward with the hardware replacement without a real mobo manual.

I have two hard drive slots, one empty. Would it be possible/advisable to install the replacement drive as a slave in the second slot, back up to it, then flick it over to be the master?

The alternative is to install the usb 2 hub, buy an external back-up unit, back-up, then replace the harddrive and restore to it. Which is better?

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback you might have.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

690 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-06
Option 1 seems faster and with a HD copy program such as Ghost or Drive Image would do it fine.