Detonator 3.0.8.7 causes freqent crashes

My hardware: Athlon XP 1800+ Abit KX7-333 MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64MB) (yes, I have the latest xp drivers, 3. 0. 8. 7) Soundblaster Live Value (ditto) Etc. The problem: WMP crashes if I try to play *anything* with it.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-11
My hardware:
Athlon XP 1800+
Abit KX7-333
MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64MB) (yes, I have the latest xp drivers, 3.0.8.7)
Soundblaster Live Value (ditto)
Etc.

The problem:
WMP crashes if I try to play *anything* with it. It's not an audio problem, because winamp 2.x has no problem playing back anything I throw at it. Dvd playback has also caused a few crashes, but it seems to work now.
Also, inexplicable crashes are frequent, and the reported cause is always the vid card driver.

What I've tried:
I've gotten all critical and all driver updates from windows update.
I've tried every xp compatible version of the detonator drivers, with the exception of the 40.xx beta, which I am getting now.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMP.
I have upgraded to WMP 9 beta.
I have installed the Via 4-in-one drivers that shipped with my mobo, but have yet to d/l the latest version and install them, since I don't suspect my mobo is the cause of the problem.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I also tried Global DivX player and DivX Player 2.0 Alpha, of which the former has an error regarding a missing or unregistered ocx file and the latter causes a total lockup.

Any suggestions for fixes? Or should I just dump the vid card and get an alternative? Thanks for any replies.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

989 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-14
I'd try the latest 4-in-1's as well. You may not *think* your mobo is at fault but with Via chipsets you never know.

edit: The above goes double seeing as you have an SBLive.

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Also latest bios updates seem to help with via/sb live, too.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-11
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked Abit's website for a bios update, but it only had a fix for onboard or addon raid controllers. I will try that if the 4-in-1's don't work, though. Hell, I'll do a straight up trade for somebody's Radeon 8500!

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-11
OP
Update: The latest 4-in-1 drivers and a bios update have not helped. Neither did the 40.xx detonator drivers. I'm gonna try ripping out the SB Live and reinstalling XP without it. Everybody should stay away from the KT333/SB Live/GF4 Ti4200 combo.

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

694 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-06-10
i had a goofy little prob with my leadtek 4200 where the det drivers only saw it as a 4400 and wouldnt start. no crashes though
the det drivers would only instal with a clean version of xp.

maybe try d/l the msi drivers?

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-11
OP
I tried MSI's drivers. They were no better than the reference drivers.

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
try an 28.*** driver.

i had some what the same prob, on 2 diff, mobo's, alwasy said the nvdis something .dll in the blue screen, so i went back to a 28.* driver and never had the problem again.

but also recently i formated my comp, and put back in the 30.87's and it has not crashed.