Dual boot MS-DOS 6.22 and NT Wks 4?

Im going to inherit an old Pentium based system within the next few weeks. The plan is to format it and use it as a file/backup server on my home network with NT4 as the OS (which it should be able to cope with fingers crossed).

Customization Tweaking 1789 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

302 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Im going to inherit an old Pentium based system within the next few weeks. The plan is to format it and use it as a file/backup server on my home network with NT4 as the OS (which it should be able to cope with fingers crossed).

However I also want to add a DOS partition to play all my old faves on, VDMSound and Dosbox are all well and good but nothing beats playing a game on the OS and Hardware it was designed for.

Heres a checklist, plz tell me if I've missed something important or got a point wrong:

1. Wipe the HD
2. Set a 1G primary partition with FDISK and make it active
3. Format with FAT16
4. Install and configure DOS (God that should be fun! ;( )
5. Install WinNT and configure remaining partitions in NTFS (Hopefully it *should* add the DOS partition to the boot menu, I hope?).

Any further advice comments would be greatfully apprciated.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
I'd go with a 2GB partition.

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

397 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-13
Quote:I'd go with a 2GB partition.

Agree.

And what do you think of DR Dos. From what I've read, it sounds to be a very interesting (and now open) solution.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
FreeDos? I'd use FreeDos over MSDOS nowadays. Better chipset support and more evolved programs in most cases.