Dual Boot XP Pro and Server 2003 - Alt Problem

Hi all, I have tried to install XP Pro on a computer that already has 2003 Server. My problem is complicated most likely because of the fact the machine has 2 RAID setups. One RAID 0, which it currently boots off, and a RAID 1 for backup.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-04-21
Hi all,

I have tried to install XP Pro on a computer that already has 2003 Server. My problem is complicated most likely because of the fact the machine has 2 RAID setups. One RAID 0, which it currently boots off, and a RAID 1 for backup.

Since I've been experiencing much trouble with my RADEON AIW with video, I figured, I could add a 5th drive, a maxtor 80gb, just to see if my system will have any trouble with video, or really to not to waste the reason I really needed this Dual Zeon in the frist place.

I formatted and partitioned the drive, and managed to do a first round install of XP PRO on that drive, but when the machine reboots, I never get the option of continuing the install or choosing that OS...

It automatically goes into the SERVER 2003 boot.

I have checked to see in the SYSTEM setting under ADVANCED / System Startup and Recovery, but under the default OS listing, only WINDOWS 2003 is an option.

This tells me that yes, I haven't finished the XP PRO install, or the 'F' Drive which is on the IDE Channel 2 as MASTER, is simply not seen...

What can I do? Is there something I'm missing???

Thanks,
EoT...

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-04-21
OP
A follow up question...

Does a dual boot setup need to be on the SAME DRIVE, but obviously from what I've read, different partitions?

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-04-21
OP
anyone know anything??? little input would be nice...

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-02
Actually Dual Boot means that two different operating systems reside on the same machine. Loading to a different logical or physical drive should not matter as the MBR (master boot record) sorts out where the boot drive/directory is.

I have only tried it once before with 98 and 2000. I read somewhere that 98 had to have C drive as it's install drive and had to be the first installation. I am not sure if either xp or 2003 has any similar quircks but it would not surprise me. You should have had an installation screen asking about the other os. If your machine does not allow a selection at boot up then your installation did not finish as you said.

It sound as if you need to set the first boot device in your bios to the drive you have installed xp on. You may still have the issue with the MBR though. I am interested in this exact same senario as I have a demo version of 2003 server and would like to test the web server function against the xp pro version on the same machine to see if I really need the upgrade.

You should look here for info:
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-US&qu=dual+boot

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-02
I was looking for someone elses solution, but it was not here.

There are many ways to fix the problem. First if you can make an NT boot floppy from a similar machine, do so, and use it to boot into Server 2003. You can then edit the boot.ini file under that system partition (boot drive), and include additional menu choice using the XP's boot.ini drive path.

Second, and perhaps simpler, is to boot into XP, and read the Boot.ini file from the Server 2003's system partition (boot drive -- likely C:\ ), then look at the boot.ini file on your XP system partition and do some merging of the two. To create a dual boot menu.

Third, use the 2003 Server's installation CD, and go into the recovery mode. From the DOS prompt, there is a command -- I cannot remember, which should fix your problem -- I am not sure if is "fixboot" or "fixconfg" or similar -- since this is what I was searching for when I encountered the dual boot problem as stated here.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-02
The problem we are talking about is caused when the most recently installed version of the Windows product -- is not the latest version -- an it overwrites the Newer products boot.ini file with its own. If you install the older system, then the newer, you are usually given the opportunity to setup a dual-boot menu.

Server 2003 has the "bootcfg" command which can be used to view or possible edit the existing boot.ini file. However, the version of 2003-DOS in the Recovery console has the option to choose:
"bootcfg /rebuild" . With this command and switch, the procedure is mostly menu-automated. You can choose which existing systems to include in your boot.ini file.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-02
Strike 3. Yes, I forgot something. For the complete story, goto the Microsoft article Q322952, and you will find a definitive answer. I had forgotten -- momentarily -- that you must obtain the proper version of ntldr, as well.

Sorry about the confusion -- but the original problem should now be fixed.

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-03
For dual boots, you will need to have them on different partitions or different drives. If you have both Windows on the same partition you will have conflicting files installed (eg. same Program Files folder, etc.) which would confuse both operating systems.

After successfully completing a dual boot install of Win2003 Server and WinXP Pro (WinXP Pro being the second to be installed). A possibility to the installation failure is a hardware issue. Likely causes are scratched CD, bad multimedia drive, bad hard drive, or RAM chips gone bad.

data/avatar/default/avatar23.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-05-18
In dual booting you do NOT need to have tyour operating systems on different drives at all. You can have as many OS on one drive as you want provided you have the required space on the drive, BUT, you must install the oldest FIRST. So for example if you had XP,98 and 2000, then you would first install 98, then 2000, then XP. So in your case you should install XP, remember that XP can restart your computer several times in the course of installing, once install is completed you should ensure XP is working correctly, and THEN install 2003. I have completed this as part of a course and have done this several times and it's worked every time, the copy of 2003 I have is an evaluation copy also. With XP running you can put the 2003 disc in the drive and start installation, read the screen options carefully and you should have one which gives you the option to upgrade XP or perform a clean install. Select clean install, NOT upgrade. DOn't worry about setting up the dual boot as this will be done for you.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

748 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-21
Another thing to consider is whether you gave the XP install the RAID controller drivers (press F6 at the beginning of the install), or whether the new drive is attached to a bog-standard IDE connector, and you let the install sail through.
In the latter case, the install wouldn't have seen the RAID setups, and it would have thought the IDE drive was the only drive, and hence written all of the MBR and boot.ini files to that drive. When you restarted the PC, the BIOS looks at the RAID drives and boots from there - not the IDE drive with XP installed on it.
If that is the case, you need to restart the install, but load the RAID drivers when prompted and install to the IDE drive - the install program should know about the RAID drives, and hopefully update the boot.ini on that instead.

Hope this helps
AndyF