Erratic framerate drops on FX Go 5700

HI, Just bought myself a laptop with an athlon 3,4ghz processor and a Nvidia Geforce Fx Go 5700; Clearly, i love games. So i got a hold of all the fun i missed while having a crap computer and installed halflife 2 doom 3 and world of warcraft.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-06
HI,
Just bought myself a laptop with an athlon 3,4ghz processor and a Nvidia Geforce Fx Go 5700; Clearly, i love games. So i got a hold of all the fun i missed while having a crap computer and installed halflife 2 doom 3 and world of warcraft.
I have a recurrent problem, games run perfect and its all great, until, everyonce in while, randomly, the screen flickers and the framerate drops dramatically. After a while, this reverts and the framerate comes back, but then it happens again and again. It makes it quite hard to play anything seeing as everyonce in while the gameplay is impossible.
Please, someone give me a hand. I tried reinstalling drivers and all that jazz already.

Bitterkaz

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-23
Sounds like another program decides its gonna startup and do *something*.

Could be:

Antivirus doing a scan.
Defrag program on a scheduled defrag when it thinks your laptop is idle.
Something else doing somekind of update/update check.

I'd look at what progs you run in the background and try to work out which ones are likely to come alive without any user intervention.

It could even be the graphics driver doing some kind of "optimisation". Not too sure about how nVidia stuff works, so thats a long shot.

The flickering could be a program trying to get window focus, hence your game almost minimising/maximising alot and causing the flickering effect.

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Those games are the most graphics intensive yet, perhaps they are overheating the GPU so it downclocks itself?

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-06
OP
hmmm... thanks for your reply.
The thing is I run the game with the task manager in the background, when the slow quicks in, i quickly switch to it, and check... yet nothing seems to have run. I even tried turning everything off, including explorer itself... but to no avail. Its strange, its like a flicker and then the game slows, for about ten seconds, then it flickers back to normal. The thing is nothing to do with intensity of gameply either, it can run smoothly through a massive gun fight and slow down in a tiny room while picking up health.
I really hope someone has seen something like this... its driving me crazy...
As for declocking... hmm i dont know what that is, or how i could help that?

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

402 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-11
Disable your wireless. If it cant find a network it gets bored and does an intense search which spikes the PC.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-06
OP
no luck. I also tried running task manager in the background to determine the program that was activating, nothing comes on... must be something graphical...arg!

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-28
What resolution are you running these games at? Also, why a laptop? Just curious.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-06
OP
its running some at 800 600 and others at 1024 752, and runs them great... but then that thing kicks in... its so damn annoying. I got a laptop coz im always moving round between spain and england, and i basically needed a portable desktop.

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Download Rivatuner. It can monitor GPU temp if your video chipset supports it. I don't know if the 5700 Go supports temp monitoring tho.

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

402 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-11
I had that problem on my laptop with MOHAA, I fixed it by getting a desktop. My problem was overheating, you wont see that in task manager. Try getting software like Motherboardmonitor or Rivatuner like dosfreak mentioned. I dont know Rivatuner but I know with Motherboardmonitor you can go into the program and check history and see what your max and min temps was and so on.