Final Fantasy 8 FF8 No sound, upside-down video W2000

Hi everyone, I would appreciate some help getting Final Fantasy 8 to work again. It was working perfectly for a while. However, I could not run certain non-game-related videos, so I uninstalled all of my codecs and installed a new set of codecs.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-05
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some help getting Final Fantasy 8 to work again. It was working perfectly for a while. However, I could not run certain non-game-related videos, so I uninstalled all of my codecs and installed a new set of codecs. Now I can run any video perfectly, except for FF8 videos. These videos play upside down, yet the rest of the game is right-side-up. Thus, I have 3D characters walking at the bottom of the screen with CGI ground above their heads. The video is also distorted, with gray rectangles appearing randomly.

Furthermore, none of the sound effects play. The music plays without error, but no other noise exists.

I reinstalled DirectX 6.1 off the FF8 install CD, which didn't help. I reinstalled the game twice, installing the patch each time. I then installed DirectX 9.0c, updated all of my drivers, uninstalled codecs, reinstalled codecs, and installed newer codecs, yet nothing seems to help. In FF8Config, I tested the sound drivers, and they successfully produced sound, but it won't work within the game.

I am running Windows 2000 with 733 MHz, 256M RAM, nVidia Geforce 256.

Thanks in advance.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar10.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-05
OP
As an update, after installing DirectX 9.0c, I read that DirectX 9.0c cannot be uninstalled. I tried reinstallling DirectX 6.1 afterward, thinking that the game requires an earlier version. Perhaps it's using 9.0c despite my wishes?