Firewall causing 404's on 70% of my favorites

Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; I have been using the same firewall for a very long time without issue. It's an old Dell box running IPCOP (a Smoothwall clone, I guess). For those familiar, it's a RED/GREEN setup, where RED = WAN card & GREEN = LAN card.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

149 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-02
Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum;

I have been using the same firewall for a very long time without issue. It's an old Dell box running IPCOP (a Smoothwall clone, I guess). For those familiar, it's a RED/GREEN setup, where RED = WAN card & GREEN = LAN card. There is no DMZ, etc. I have never fiddled with any of it's settings, nor felt the need to. Anyway, due to various circumstances, I switched from my long time cable ISP to dsl. Following my new ISP's guidelines for pc's behind a firewall, I registered the MAC addess of the WAN ethernet card on their website. At first it seemed all was well. Online gaming = fine. Download speeds are good too. However, I started noticing that a lot of my Favorites were constantly "down". I could click randomly through a list of hundreds of Favorites; few would work, but many would not, way too many.

I started thinking maybe I had a virus. I formatted/reinstalled Windows 2000, but the same thing was happening. Thinking my backed up Favorites.htm file had become corrupt, I manually typed in url's, but still no go. Mandrake 9 = same problem.

However, if I connect my pc directly to the dsl modem, the problem disappears! Also, I don't think it has anything to do with my new ISP, since I do recall this strangeness started sometime during my last month or two with my cable ISP. Looking at the settings of my firewall, everything seems to be as it should, since there are basically no options "ticked", etc, nor have there ever been.

This is really become a pain in the arse for me, since I have to physically unplug cables & release/renew my ip everytime I want to go to a specific website, like this one for example.

What could have happened?[/url]

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1915 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-30
Try setting your DNS manually to your ISP's to see what happens

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

149 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-02
OP
Quote:Try setting your DNS manually to your ISP's to see what happens You, my friend, are the bomb. Thank you ever so much!

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1915 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-30
Quote:Quote:Try setting your DNS manually to your ISP's to see what happens You, my friend, are the bomb. Thank you ever so much!

Anything for my lifelong idol Ron Jeremy

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Quote:Quote:Quote:Try setting your DNS manually to your ISP's to see what happens You, my friend, are the bomb. Thank you ever so much!

Anything for my lifelong idol Ron Jeremy

I hope Ron will now bless us with a reading of his latest poem

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

748 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-21
Ron Jeremy does poetry?! 8)
Do they all start with lines like "There was a young girl from Nantucket"...?

AndyF