Freeware Compression Tool to create 700MB spans?

It might arrive a little late. See following message from Red Hat: * From: Michael K. Johnson * To: fedora-devel-list redhat com, fedora-test-list redhat com * Subject: Schedule slip * Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:40:56 -0500 We had to respin FC1 today for a non-technical issue (that's all I can say, sorry), which res ...

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Gang,
I would like to know if anyone knows of a freeware compression tool that'll let me compress a mutli-gigabyte data set into a set of 700MB files. I want to burn them to a CD you see. The only tool I know of that'll do this is WinRar and I'm not crazy about WinRar and since that's the only thing I keep using it for I would like to find a freeware alternative rather than registering a program that to me isn't worth the money.
Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Silver Dagger,
Actually that was the first program I tried. I didn't see any functionality to do that with. Did I miss it? Also the Explorer context menus in that application are hosed.
Thanks for the tip,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
Filzip. www.filzip.com
Free(at least for now) supports ace,rar,cab, and all the rest.

Also check out 7-zip
www.7-zip.org it is GPL software and always will be free.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

214 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-10-05
I don't think 7-zip supports multi-volume.. at least yet.
But you can split file into fixed-size parts and then compress them using your favourite archiver. Take a look at UnxUtils and split's man pages.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Gang,
You're absolutely right 7-Zip doesn't support volume spans otherwise I'd be done already. I love 7-Zip compression and have the main app currently installed. PS v.3.12 just came out.

Also I'll take a look at FilZip and the Open Source utils.
Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Clutch,
Thanks for the suggestion Silver Dagger already recommended that though it's hard to tell unless you follow his URL. I would like to repeat my question to him. Does it support archive spanning? I just tried it two days ago and saw no such feature.

I did notice that CuteZip will split an already made zip file into a specified size of Zip spans. I've always hated CuteZip though, because the author focusses too much on UI and graphics and rather than intuitive functionality and more importantly stability. I kept trying it for a long time thinking he'd make a stable build, but he never does.
Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar37.webp

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
try WinAce ( www.winace.com), it supports spanning for popular media (3.5 disk, zip disk etc) and you can specify the size (in kb) you want it to span the archive. freeware/shareware too...

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
If you go to the features section of the site, you should see this:

Create an archive
Add files to an existing archive
Delete files from an existing archive
Extract files from an existing archive
Test an archive file
Convert archive
Repair broken archive
Searching for any files in many archives
Favorite Folders
Obtaining a detailed list of files and information like compression rate, path, or size from an archive file
Supports both long and short 8.3 filenames

Disk spanning from and to multiple diskettes or other removable media

Implementing the possibility to sort the list items by name size, date and etc.

Full Drag & Drop support
Integrating in Windows Explorer context menu
Automatic installation of most software distributed in archive files
Add/View comments in an archive
By double-clicking onto a file in the file list, it's opened with the program associated to this file type
CheckOut feature

Create a self-extracting archive
E-mail an archive
Checking for new updates
Build-in multilanguage support
Virus Scan feature
UU/XX/MIME Encode/Decode
Create Multi-Volume Set
Merge Multi-Volume Set
UnSFX (Convert self-extracting (SFX) .EXE files to standard archives)
Encrypt files using Rijandael - AES (256-bits) encryption
Decrypt (.ize) files

I would imagine that is what you are looking for.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Tsonta,
Thanks for trying to help. No offense, but there's a night and day difference between freeware and shareware.
Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
If you open the app, go Tools > Create Multi-Volume set. You can then browse out an existing zip archive and span it to any size break you want. Very easy.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Clutch,
Thanks for letting me know. I actually saw that amidst your last post, but hadn't had the time to try it and give a response. Thanks for shortening your response though and when I get a chance I'll mostl likely give it a go. Though I'm leaning towards CuteZip since I've used it more. Has anyone had a chance to compare the two and if so what were your conclusions?

Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar37.webp

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
Quote:No offense, but there's a night and day difference between freeware and shareware

none taken, but i couldn't be asked checking whether WinAce was shareware or freeware.... it's all down to me being very lazy these days...

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
I'm sure winrar would do the trick but it's not free so try arj32 http://www.arjsoft.com/files.htm it's a command line tool but I think it'll do.

the command would be something like
arj32 a test.arj *.* /v700M /y

the /y switch answers yes when asked to proceed with next volume.

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Tomay,
Thanks for your suggestion and providing a freeware option. I will download it. However, I personally think command-line tools are only good for repetitive actions or programmers. I wish their was a UI version of this . I did wind up using IZarc to split the files though. I will try your suggestion next time Tomay. However, I'm sure I'll wind up needing to split some 800MB avi file across multiple CDs some time in the future. Your .Rar based solution would be better than IzArc since it's span archives are .Zip only. I wish somebody would create a 7-Zip span tool. Hell I don't even know if the format supports spans. However that would strike me as funny if it didn't since 7-Zip is probably the most recent format and should have the most features, not be missing some of the most important ones.
Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
I am the savior!
HJsplit.
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
it will split any binary file regardless of type, and make a little batchfile that will rejoin them. All major OS supported.