GeForce 2 MX 400 woes

Here's the deal. I just bought a GeForce 2 (see sig) and now, whenever I try to play Direct3D games, I get the following BSOD. I thought that it could be simply because I didn't re-install after putting in the GeForce 2 and PIII 450.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
Here's the deal.
I just bought a GeForce 2 (see sig) and now, whenever I try to play Direct3D games, I get the following BSOD.

I thought that it could be simply because I didn't re-install after putting in the GeForce 2 and PIII 450. So I re-installed today including the 21.83 Detonators but I'm getting the same thing.

Also, on a warm reboot (ie after a BSOD) the TV-Out was not recognised and I couldn't watch DVD's on my TV. A cold reboot would see the TV-Out working. Thus I'm thinking that it's a hardware problem.

Any Ideas?
TIA.

Also, where can I get the 27.xx Detonators?

//
// Watchdog Event Log File
//

LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2002-02-23 19:03:06
TimeZone: -600 - AUS Eastern Standard Time
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.
//

ShutdownCount: 6
Shutdown: 0
EventCount: 3
BreakCount: 3
BugcheckTriggered: 1
DebuggerNotPresent: 1
DriverName: nv4_disp
EventFlag: 1
DeviceClass: Display
DeviceDescription: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_2850107D&REV_B2
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0005000D 00010887 0005000D 00010887 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation
DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 21.83
DriverFileVersion: 5.13.01.2183
DriverInternalName: nv_disp.dll
DriverLegalCopyright: Copyright :copyright: NVIDIA Corp. 1996-2001
DriverOriginalFilename: nv_disp.dll
DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 21.83
DriverProductVersion: 5.13.01.2183

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
After installing the 27.42 drivers which fixed some DVD shakiness issues, the machine doesn't blue screen now, it just hangs.

It only hangs with some DirectX games though.
It hangs with: Max Payne and MS Combat FS2 (both DX)

Is doesn't hang with: Need for Speed 5 (DX)

I don't understand this.

Should I update my VideoCard BIOS. My m/board has the latest BIOS.

TIA.

data/avatar/default/avatar37.webp

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
hmm...this is a strange case....well, the 27.42 where the first ones that managed to give me an infinite_loop_blue_screen...go figure

this is more of a suggestion, try the Microsoft certified 23.11's and see what happens.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
I tried the 23.11's once with my TNT2.
They gave me no end of curry with everything, esp DX games.
Thus I vowed to steer clear of them.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Well I worked it out.
The program I used to watch DVD's on my TV was conflicting.

Despite the fact the this program works really well in the 2D world, it conflicts in the 3D world.

I simply stopped it from loading on startup and all is well.

Thanks anyway.

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
...and which program gave you all that trouble? Can you post its title and version? thanx

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
The program is TV-Tool version 6 beta.

Available at Home of TV-Tool

There's also version 5.5.3.

Both versions work really well in delivering non-Macrovosion TV signals via the TV out on most cards. I use it with my GeForce2 and the picture is really clear.

This is one program I was happy to pay $AU20 for.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Okay, I thought I had this solved.
However, the machine is still hanging with two DirectX games.
These are:
MS Combat FS2
Max Payne

In Half-Life, DirectX performance at 1024*768 is choppy and staggered compared to OpenGL performance at 1024*768.
OpenGL works so damn fine in Half-Life and 4x4 Evolution 2.

This is my quandry.
1. Do i send the card back under the pretense that it is faulty (remembering I've used all the drivers and still have the problem)?

2. Do I re-install again in the hope that it's a Windows füçk up and it wil be fixed with a re-install.

TIA.

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
Do you have another machine to test the card on?
Or could you make another, clean WinXP installation, on another partition and test the card there?

if you send the card back and the people that test it manage to get it working you would have just lost lost your time and money. Rest assured that they are not going to test it with a zillion games, as no one manufacturer is legally obliged to make their products working under a zillion hardware and software combinations

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Done that.
With both WinXP and Win2k, graphics look great until it crashes.
I am now going to try disabling the "Nvidia Driver Helper Service" and see if that works.
Failing that, I'm going to try installing WinME and see if it keeps happening.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Okay,
Now that I've re-installed WinXP and Win2k, I'm still having the same problem.
Anyhow, I'm going to try installing Win98 to see if the problem continues. Of course, I'm worried about the 512mb RAM thing.
Will 98SE work on my machine. I'm getting really annoyed.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Right, after reading Staying out of the loop I think that my 250w power supply may lack the juice to power "Kremlin".

See my sig to see why. Now I think I'll get a 300w power supply and see what happens.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
Last night, IN an attempt to test my power theory, I disconnected the extra case fans in my system. At this point I would like to point out that the fans were connected simply via a 4-pin molex connector to a spare power lead. Thus, I unplugged and removed the fans, which in no way were involved with anything other than the power supply.

Okay I thought, two fans removed, more power for the video card.
Thus I started her up, POST, device checking all went well, Starting Win2k - INFINITE BSOD LOOP. Okay, I thought, it's just cause I'm using the 27.42 Detonators, so I'll try a safe mode - INFINITE BSOD LOOP with all options. Okay then, I'll do a rebuild cause I hadn't backed up my favourites, outlook.pst, archive.pst and fonts.

Of course, whilst I was performing the rebiuld, the machine hung and when I got back into the Win2k setup, C:\ was "unformatted or damaged" - AHHHHHHHHH, 3 years of email GONE (it's been 3 years since I last slaughtered my machine completely).

WHen I tried to re-install Win2k and WinXP, I had disc-read issues - BLUE SCREEN, to i thought fux it and installed WinME, and then stupidly installed the ME 27.42 drivers, not thinking about what just happened. It hung, so I turned it off and went to bed.

I will attempt to bring it back to life this weekend. Thank Christ I have a backup of my calendar and contacts at work.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

599 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-28
Felix, I realise that the following is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, but I have 2 things to say to you:

1. Xteq Xsetup
2. Different Partition

If you move your address book, emails, etc to a different drive then it doesn't matter how many times you reformat C: your emails will still be fine. I also do the same for My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, etc, but I tend to do those last few with TweakUI. Once you've moved them once you only have to use Xsetup or TweakUI to tell windows to look somewhere other than the default for the various folders/files. 1 thing to note, if you do do this & you want to move your address book make sure you read the specific notes for that tweak in Xsetup before you do it, especially from the 2nd time you do it onwards due to the annoying way that they've done that particular tweak.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
THat's the stupid thing.
I know the tricks, I just don't do them.
All my old uni work, downloads, patches etc are on D:\
All my mp3s are on E:\
Games live on F:\

The only important things on C:\ were my *.pst files, favourites and backdrops.

I'm going back to DOS.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP
I installed the 12.41 drivers and fixed the damn thing.

I can't beleive it.

686 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-28
OP

Anyhow, my motherboard (AOpen AX6B) had a little jumper that enable something called "AGP Turbo" apparently required when using 100mHz FSB, so I set it and now everything is fine.

So after buying a new power supply and investigating other new hardware, I found the solution.

Funny thing is I only found the motherboard manual yesterday whilst cleaning up old junk, boxes etc and there's the solution, on the last page of the manual.

Anyhow, I'm happy now.