Hello I need some advice, I have some small home LAN network(Win2000pro)

Hello I need some advice, I have some small home LAN network(Win2000pro) with two comp. with 3com 3c095-tx cards with cross-over- IBM shielded cable 1,5m. In standard operations I have about 5-6 mb/s and in copy with Total Commander I have 7-8 Mb/s.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-16
Hello I need some advice, I have some small home LAN network(Win2000pro) with two comp. with 3com 3c095-tx cards with cross-over- IBM shielded cable 1,5m. In standard operations I have about 5-6 mb/s and in copy with Total Commander I have 7-8 Mb/s.
In one machine I have Intel 815e mb with 933e coppermine, second machine is Asus p4p800/ p4 2.4c(integrated 3com GB card disabled).both comps in ata 100, udma, both with HDD's 7200/8mb.

In my firm I have similar computers with LAN of two in cross over but I have speed about 10-11mb/s

I tried 3com drivers for 3c905 4.31 and 4.41. I get same speed with both. I tried several crossover cables from different manufactures and its same.
Do you have some suggestions what to do, maybe some of setting in network advance could boost speed, ( just to mentioned I am in 100mbit/full dup. on both computers), maybe some of these which are defaults could change speed:
DoubleNego-disable
Down poll rate-8
Enh Lan Power Mgmt -off
Flow Control-Enable ( I really need this option on Enable, when its disabled and when I play DVD's from network I could get choke's and some times skippings)
InitDelayCount-0
LnkChk-disable
PhyCompat-enable
RWU ARP-disable
RWU Magic PKT-Enable
RWU Ping-disable
Rx Checksum Offload-Enable
Software Cable detect-Off
Stdby Rwu Magic Pkt-Enable
Stdby Rwu Pattern-Enable
Tx Checksum Offload-Enable

If you have some idea please c'mon share it with me, if you know some good LAN booster software or some other LAN speed optimizer please share it with me.
do you think that I need to put some switch or router(some advance with 24 or 32mb) to boost speed, I really need 10-11mb/s if its possible
Thank you.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
Good to see that APK is a high quality producing member of these forums

In regards to performance increases

Do the NICs share IRQs?
Have you tried pinning the link speeds and duplexing?
I do agree with APK and his TCPIP stack tuning.

The 3c905 series came in three flavors IIRC. If they are revision A, then they are only 10 meg cards. Revisions B n C encorporated WOL as well as a Bel chipset.

And just to ramble on a little more funny how you commented on how flow control improves your DVD viewing. When in actuality, more packets are being sent to "pause and start" your DVD stream. Gotta love not dropping all them packets.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-16
OP
Ok Thanks on reply, I tried some things but most of them didn't do any significant speed improvements, I just tried 8-9 things.
Most important thing is EnablePMTUDiscovery, why, lets just say if you use several internet connections like, modem, ISDN, Wifi and Network this is crucial part in MTU size because this rout will set correct MTU size for your connection type.
If you don't change this option to disable, you can change MTU size but Windows will ignore change.

Second I changed "Down Poll rate" to 64, in 3com advance settings and I boosted speed to 8,6-9,2mb/s(not mbit/s).

No my Nic doesn't share any IRQ, I even selected pci slot which is free to two levels in pirq channels (just to mention, I tried all PCI slots) nothing shared in A or B channel.

Ping is great Average =0ms.

I don't need any Internet tweaks because I have maximum performance on all internet connections like on my Wifi 512kbit/s I got 63-66kb/s, on my ISDN on one ch. 64kbit/s I've got 7,9-8.4kb/s without compression.

Most of tweaks that I did found are for Internet broadband and none for home LAN without Server.
ds3circuit could you explain me, what did you meant exactly for flow control.

Alec§taar could you throw me your most important tweaks but for home LAN connection, if you consider that I got tree types of internet connections and I don't use my LAN for Internet.

Here is picture with speed improvement "Down poll rate 64"
[Edited by dosfreak on 2004-09-21 12:55:03]

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-16
OP
b]Originally posted by ds3circuit:

Quote:The 3c905 series came in three flavors IIRC. If they are revision A, then they are only 10 meg cards. Revisions B n C encorporated WOL as well as a Bel chipset.

I got 8 or 9 3Com "3c905c", every card has wake on LAN and boot rom,
4 are made in USA, 2 in Ireland and rest in Singapore.

Model is 3C905C-tx-m.

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Sorry, Had to remove the pic for obvious reasons.

If you are trying to watch DVD's over a LAN the common usage is to reencode the movie to the data rate most appropriate to your network. It's been a long time since I've done such a thing but if you really don't feel like reencoding your movies then simply buy some Gig nics and some Cat 5E cable and your good too go. Cost shouldn't be a factor 'cause Cat5E is cheap and so are Gig Nics. Gigabit switches are also pretty cheap now too.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
LOL nice man ..... Easy on the P2P stuff.

Other solutions include USB and Firewire pc to pc connections. Certainly more bandwidth than cat5e

Dosfreak also brough up cat6 and gig-e. Another viable solution.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-16
OP
Oh you mean "names of files", of course I forget about that, my bad m8y,
I could put pic without real file names, because picture present this boost in the right manners.