HELP!!! Can't update video driver in Win2000 AS

When I first installed Win2000 Advanced Server I installed the nVidia Win2000 378 drivers (I have a TNT2). Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade to version 513 and 514 of the nVidia drivers.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-12-26
When I first installed Win2000 Advanced Server I installed the nVidia Win2000 378 drivers (I have a TNT2). Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade to version 513 and 514 of the nVidia drivers. When I go to update the drivers I do a search to specify a new driver. I pick the folder with the new driver and it then says it finds a better driver located at OEM0.INF. If I continue I get the error listed below.
I then attempt to do a “Display a List of Known Drivers” and click on "Have Disk" to specify the driver location. It finds the driver then copies the files. When it’s all finished I get the following error:

ERROR MESSAGE:
An error occurred during the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified.

The system then reverts back to 16-color VGA and I can never upgrade the driver no matter what version I pick.

I am logged in as Admin.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

444 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-05
AHAHA me to! i got the same ****, dont uninstall or try and reinstall another drivers, it will not work, everything you try will give you that error. i think it was the 5.13 dirvers. they fuxored everything up, and lots of people have this problem now. ahhaha!

------------------
Athalon 500
196mb Ram
3D prophet ddr-dvi geforce
SB Live! sound card.
biostar m7mka mobo
20 gig maxtor and 3.5 gig fireball
32x tosheba, and adaptec scsi mitsuia cdr 2x4x
ms internet keyboard pro
ms intellimouse explorer
640k DSL on wintell modem with linksys dsl router
100mbit dlink nic w/wol

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-12-26
OP
If a lot of people are having the same problem hasn’t anyone figured out a solution?

I really don’t want to re-install Win2000 but I can’t use the OS at 640X480.

If someone knows an answer to this problem please post!

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-04-18
Same thing just happened to me too. I tried to update to 5.14 drivers from 5.13 on my TNT2U, and got the dreaded "System cannot find specified file" error. Tried everything I could think of, to no avail. Strange thing is that I went into display props, and it showed my TNT2 on my Sony monitor. I was able to change resolutions and refresh rate, but Device Manager still had exclamation points by both the vid card and monitor. Rebooted to see what would happen, and it was right back at that crappy 640x480 res.
Anybody??

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

444 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-05
i fiexed it, look at my other post

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-30
Hi,

Can you tell me how you fixed this problem please?

Many thanks

Mike