help regarding p3 733 on 440BX m/b using a daughter card

HELLO EVERYONE, I Had a p3-450mhz slot1 cpu &440BX M/B,it worked fine for a year,but after that my pc wouldnot boot up,so i cleaned the cpu's contact with a tape head cleaner after that it would work fine for a couple of months,but after that again same problem,and one day even after cleaning,it didnot start,so i b ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-09
HELLO EVERYONE,

I Had a p3-450mhz slot1 cpu &440BX M/B,it worked fine for a year,but after that my pc wouldnot boot up,so i cleaned the cpu's contact with a tape head cleaner after that it would work fine for a couple of months,but after that again same problem,and one day even after cleaning,it didnot start,so i bought a p2-233mhz slot1 cpu you know slot1 cpu's are extinct.one day i'just tried my luck on the old cpu,i worked but the bios showed as p3-166mhz,after that it again went dead.
So currently i am using the p2-233mhz. it works absouletly fine,only speed is the problem,i cann't work any heavy applications...
So somebody told me about daughter cards.I bought one yesterday after a long search.Also a friend of my has 4 cpu's of p3-733Mhz socket (green color)type,and the price is also affordable,but i just learn't that from your website that 440BX M/B supports only upto 600 mhz.

Now the question,I've carefully studied my m/b,saw all the jumpers,and found out that (100-133MHZ jumpers for cpu bus,clock ratio upto 9 and a marking wich says coppermine ready),now if my calculations are right 733/133=5.5 &733/100=7.3.
now if all these calculations fit the 733mhz cpu in the picture then will it really work on my board fine and will it get damaged or not.
The daughter card i bought has many jumpers also(for intel/via cpu,for system bus selection of 133/100,cpu voltage vid 4-0 also an auto seting).
also how do i identify who's the manufacturer,there is no name on the card..
Please Help me out otherwise i will never buy any intel products in future.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
As long as you have coppermine support, then you will probably be OK. Best solution is get a celeron coppermine, or a p3 that has a 100 Mhz bus. these chips will work perfectly. The 133 Mhz bus coppermine P3's are a risk because the 133 bus is not supported..

Don't worry about the multiplier, set it to the highest you can. they r clock locked and will work at the right multiplier even if set lower. (I ran my coppermine celeron 600 Mhz with multiplier of 9 on bx board without issue, just set the jumper for 6x.

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-09
OP
i am very happy now iam running p3-800/133 @600/100 using a daughter card,and everythings changed

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

11 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-25
I had a 440BX mobo made by QDI... top board imo
However, I could get a p3 750MHz coppermine slot 1 chip working... I was able to try a 733MHz fcpga2 coppermine in a daughter board (prior to buying the slot 1 cpu) and it wouldnt have it at all... just black screen on boot an it made some sort of beep code. Took it back and the guy in the shop said "must not work in that mobo" and offered me the slot 1 for £3 less (even though faster - but 100mhz bus rather than 133 as the fcpga2 was).

However, the mobo DID support 133fsb with the latest bios flash... you may need to flash your bios too? check your mobo manufacturer website for more details

Was one of the best PCs I ever had... no troubles or anything Although I upgraded to a 2.4 p4 an its well quicker... it woulda been nice to keep the p3 as a 2nd system for myself