My CDRW is running udma fine. .

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

1030 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-19
My CDRW is running udma fine.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

266 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-25
Is the DVD running in Multi Word DMA or PIO mode?

1030 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-19
OP
pio, it used to always run in multiword dma

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

266 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-25
Have you tried setting to PIO only and then back to DMA if Available?, also try reinstalling bus mastering drivers.

P.S. Have you changed anything on that IDE channel recently as in added a new drive or changed jumper settings.

1030 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-19
OP
im letting winxp use its default BM drivers. my mobo has the AMD761 chipset and Via southbridge

data/avatar/default/avatar14.webp

302 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
This is another really annoying 2k/XP bug present on VIA chipsets (especially involving devices connected to the 2nd ide channel).

Periodically (and for God knows what reason) Windows forgets the correct transfer rate settings for a given ide channel. I'll assume that you have checked that the hardware is not faulty, set it up right, and has all the relavent uptodate drivers installed.

If you have done all this and it still doesn't detect the correct speed settings then this is 99% garenteed to solve it:

Open regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Look at the subkeys at this location. You need 0001 (if your device is attached to your Primary IDE Channel) and 0002 (if it's on the Secondary one).

When you've found the right subkey you need to alter the following DWORD values:

MasterDeviceTimingMode (delete this value)
MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed (enter a hex value of ffffffff)

**note: If your device is set as a Slave, then edit the appropriate DWORD values in the same pane and leave the Master ones alone.