Help with 3.3v for 9600 XT

Well i just got my 9600 XT from ASUS and now it is in my computer and the ASUS smart doctor says i need more voltage bcause my mother board is only giving it 1. 5. It tells me to go to the manufactures website, and my mother board right now is from a del opliplex gx260, i know it sucks but owell.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
Well i just got my 9600 XT from ASUS and now it is in my computer and the ASUS smart doctor says i need more voltage bcause my mother board is only giving it 1.5. It tells me to go to the manufactures website, and my mother board right now is from a del opliplex gx260, i know it sucks but owell. If there is anyway to fix this problem it is emtremly apreeciated, thanks for your time nd any input. Taylor,

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
Sorry the actaul motherboard is supposivly juist a dell one so i dunno. And the chipset is 845G and any other info neede just ask. Thanks.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Actually the motherboard will most likely be an Intel OEM board

However that voltage is normal for an AGP 4x graphics card, since the card supports both 4x and 8x AGP and the motherboard only supports up to AGP 4x cards, this is why the voltage says 1.5.

For an AGP 2x/1x cards would be either 3.3v.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
do you know if there is a way to ficx it and have 3,3v go to the VGA card?? Would there be a update or should i just get a newer motherboard that supports it? thanks for any input. Taylor

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Hmm, I guess what I really wanted to say is that there are (2)Two voltages to be concerned about. One is the Graphics Card Power voltage and the other is the Signaling voltage.

So which voltage is this app telling you about ?!?

Also you may wish to review the technical specs from Intel's website on the latest AGP v3.0 specs. Look at TABLE 1, this shows both the power and the signaling voltages for the various AGP transfer speeds.

Be sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
Well im guessing it is Graphics Card VOltage Power as it onyl says " Your VGA card voltage is below the safe bound level..." so im hopeing their is an update to fix it but if not i guess ill be getting a new mother board which i dont REALLY want to do. o well thanks again, taylor

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

3087 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-21
It's probably a software issue. If your system is running stable, don't worry.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
Well thats the thing it is running stable although my monitor seems to go in standby every few seconds/minutes. And it always says i need more voltage?? so if i can get an update on my AGP driver from some place im think that ilwl work but where do i get it from??

3087 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-21
Try the Omega Drivers here.

Also, check your power management for the monitor.

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

37 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-03
How many watts is your computers PSU?

Iirc the Radeon 9600 and 9800 series cards need a 350 Watt or higher rated power supply.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
well now when ever i start my computer up the screen goes blue and says to restart and to ry again and i do and it says it again. the omega drivers didnt do anything but i havent been able to get them on while the 9600 XT is in my computer. So im not sure but i think i need a new motherboard?? This is the one i am looking at, http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-d/overview.htm and i am wondering if i need this and if it will work with my 9600 XT card, im supposing it does. Thanks for your guys input anyway. anyother is helpful

3087 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-21
You don't need a new motherboard to run that card, but, yes, that motherboard will work with the card just fine. BTW, what is your power supply brand and wattage rating? If you buy a new motherboard and the PSU is the problem, you're still going to have the same issues.

See if you can find out what the BSOD says, so we can track down the root of the problem.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
lol stupid question but how do i find out what the BSOD says lol.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
Another good note is that i uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and it wokred after taht then it said the pow voltage thing . BUT i went into the setup of the app and took off the voltage monitor, and it seems to be working fine :x . Although will this do any harm to my VGA card?? hopefully not.

3087 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-21
No. Asus hardware is fine...it's their software that is kinda funky.

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
So my VGA card is fine with only 1.5 volts and it seems to be working fin. And no harm will be done to card right??

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
How do you get into the BSOD and my power rating is a 500 watt and it says 115v and 250v to switch it, shouold i switch it to 250v??

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Quote:How do you get into the BSOD and my power rating is a 500 watt and it says 115v and 250v to switch it, shouold i switch it to 250v??

NO!!!

Unless you want to fry the PS and possibly the motherboard and other components with it

The US runs off of a standard 110~130vac for input voltage. There are a lot of Power Supplies that have a manual input voltage selector switch for other countries that run off of a standard 220vac input voltage, like Europe for instance

Most new Power Supplies use an automatic selector now and can take an input voltage of 110~220vac

27 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-16
OP
OK good thing i didnt then, and anyway my VGA card is fine and everything seems to be running smooth 8) lol i was mad that it wasnt working but ill keep my set up as i ihave now for a bit and upgrade my motherbaord and processor sometime. THanks again for all your help.

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-05
I'm reading this cause I've fried two 9600 xt cards and trying to find out why.
DO NOT CHANGE THE VOLTAGE TO 3.3bold text
1.5 is where it should run.
And Smart Doctor is anything but....or maybe not. I kept getting agrivating messages about voltages and shutting down Forgotten Battles till I used pitched smart doctor. Also noted memory running hotter than GPU. Asus tech thought that was too high too.
I guess I'm saying be careful and don't throw out your old vid card yet, you may need it one day. I have...twice.

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-08
The Radeon 9600xt is a 1,5v card, not a 3,3v! I can only emphasize what Shimano said: Never try to give 3,3v to it!

For new cards such as the Radeon 9600xt (of the types AGP 8x or AGP 4x) 1,5v is the standard. 3,3v is, in fact, the *older* standard, which was used by AGP 2x or 1x cards and which is not supported by modern motherboards anymore (therefore, *if* you really had a card that needed 3,3v, buying a newer motherboard wouldn't be of any use. You'd rather need an older one, then ).

For those who are having problems with Smart Doctor warnings: check if your card is really getting the 1,5v it needs. Take a look at what Smart Doctor shows as 'Vcore' -- should be 1,5.
It may be that the card is getting to less because of power supply problems (I'm having the same -- my Radeon 9600xt, according to Smart Doctor, only gets 1,28v instead of the required 1,5v since my 300 watt PS is too weak -- ordered a better one yesterday... 8)). Again: 1,5v is all it needs. Nothing less, and nothing more!!!

If you don't trust Smart Doctor, I guess there are other tools to find out if your card (or any of your other pc components) is getting enough voltage, too (a google search will probably do). A nother hint for power supply problems is the PS getting hot or smelling bad (mine did both)... or smoking, but it'll probably be too late then ;-)
The minimum PS for a system that's running with a Radeon 9600xt is 350 watt - but depending on what other components you have, it might very well be more. However, TPJ2988, a 500 watt PS should really be enough... normally. But maybe it isn't working properly? x)