help with installing video card geforce mx 4000

x) hello, here is my problem, im not knowledgeable of this kind of thing although i can defend myself a little, im trying to install a new video card, geforce mx 4000, i have a hp pavilion my old video card is geforce 4 mx, okay now ive tried to install it deleted my old drives, and tried to change the bios and i a ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-05
x) hello, here is my problem, im not knowledgeable of this kind of thing although i can defend myself a little, im trying to install a new video card, geforce mx 4000, i have a hp pavilion my old video card is geforce 4 mx, okay now ive tried to install it deleted my old drives, and tried to change the bios and i added the video card and it doesnt read it, ive tried everything and nothing, there is one thing that it says to change the vga thingy but i cant see it at the start up when i press f1 to switch the onboard video card off disable it i cant seem to find the switch i think that may be the problem, anywayz this is my problem and if anyone can help me with it, it would be awesome thank you.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
When installing any nvidia card, you must first uninstall the old drivers. I think that is what you meant to type. Some will also suggest that you use either Driver Cleaner or Detonator R.I.P. to be sure to clean out the old drivers completely.

Most of the time, this will work. What may be a kink in your installation is whether or not your AGP slot in your Pavillion is 2X or 4X. You need to find out. If the MX4000 is 4X and your Pavillion can only support 2X, it will never work. The old MX400 would work even with a 1X emulating 2X

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-05
OP
Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:When installing any nvidia card, you must first uninstall the old drivers. I think that is what you meant to type. Some will also suggest that you use either Driver Cleaner or Detonator R.I.P. to be sure to clean out the old drivers completely. 
Most of the time, this will work. What may be a kink in your installation is whether or not your AGP slot in your Pavillion is 2X or 4X. You need to find out. If the MX4000 is 4X and your Pavillion can only support 2X, it will never work. The old MX400 would work even with a 1X emulating 2X

whoa u scared me with the non compatible thing but i jsut saw the box and it says apg 8x/4x/2x compatible so im pretty sure it is compatible, but i will try to get rid of the old drives, althought in the instructions it says to change the bios too or the vga thing, or i only have to erase the drives and then put the video card?

another thing that i was wondering i dont really know if the internet is connected to nvidia thing or other programs but it was like 3 programs audio etc etc, do i delete everything nvidia related.?

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Originally posted by davidlionheartz:

Quote: x) im trying to install a new video card, geforce mx 4000, i have a hp pavilion my old video card is geforce 4 mx

Why bother? Aren't they both the same card?

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-05
OP
no. my old video card doesnt have an s video port and the shared memory was 64 of the old one and this one has 128