Help with windows 2000 adv server for home networking

Can anybody help me with regards on how to setup windows 2000 adv server (active directory, user’s acct, etc)? Or maybe direct me to any website that provide tutorial? In our house we have 5 computers, 2 for the kids, 2 for my wife and me and 1 in the basement acting as a fileserver.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-19
Can anybody help me with regards on how to setup windows 2000 adv server (active directory, user’s acct, etc)? Or maybe direct me to any website that provide tutorial?

In our house we have 5 computers, 2 for the kids, 2 for my wife and me
and 1 in the basement acting as a fileserver. Now what I wanted to do is to be able to control when/where my kids can log on to the network (for internet and play MP3 from the fileserver) Win2k adv server will be installed on the fileserver computer, kids computer will have win98SE and win2k for my wife and xp pro for me.

So here’s what I hope to achieve
On my kids computer I only want him to able to log on at 8AM till 9PM. Once logged on, a network mapped drive will be available for savings file and another one mapped drive for mp3s (read only, can’t delete). If he/she didn’t log on to the domain they will not have access to the net and fileserver (for mp3s).

2 computers for the kids will be locked down (i.e.: can’t install program, can’t change settings) same goes for my wife (don’t want her to mess around )
Occasionally the kids are allowed to log on to my computer/my wife computer but they will have the same restriction as if they were to log on to their own computer.

Thanks in advance

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.