How awful is it upgrading from Win2k to SBS2003?

I have a small network using Win2k Server w/ Exchange 2000. I got a free copy of SBS2003 from MS at a training session and I am wondering how painful an upgrade it would be? Anybody try this? Is it worth it? I REALLY don't want to do a clean install, I would rather do an upgrade if that were possible.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar32.webp

94 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-25
I have a small network using Win2k Server w/ Exchange 2000.
I got a free copy of SBS2003 from MS at a training session and I am wondering how painful an upgrade it would be?

Anybody try this?
Is it worth it?

I REALLY don't want to do a clean install, I would rather do an upgrade if that were possible.

Thanks for any imput.

Maurice

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

156 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-11-30
You'll have mucho trouble with Exchange. It's a real pain to do an in-place upgrade of Exchange and you cannot have two SBS servers in the same network, so you cannot migrate mailboxes to another machine for an upgrade.

I think if I were in your position, I wouldn't do it. Also, if it's an SBS 2003 evaluation, it will eventually expire (probably six months) which means you get to reformat and do something else.

94 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-25
OP
Well it is a FULL version that does not expire. I do want to learn the new version. It sounds like my best bet might be a clean install, but just out of curiosity what is the pain in the Exhcnage upgrade?

94 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-08-25
OP
Oh yeah, and the other thing is that the previous version is NOT SBS so I would not have two SBS's running on the same network. Does that mean that I could set up a second server to upgrade the exhange from the first one?

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1915 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-30
Do a clean install.

Thats what MS recommends.

SBS 2003 is so easy to install its scarey