How to host software on a Windows 2000 Server Domain

This is one for the experts in Nt/2k System Administration. If my understanding is correct, you can install a peice of software on a windows 2000 server, and make that software available for all workstations that connect to that server.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar33.webp

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
This is one for the experts in Nt/2k System Administration.
If my understanding is correct, you can install a peice of software on a windows 2000 server, and make that software available for all workstations that connect to that server. For example, Lets say you wish to install Microsoft Office. The idea is to install it on the server such that you only need to install it once, and all the workstations can use it without having to install Microsoft Office on every single machine. Also updates to software can be made on the server machine rather than having to update every single machine.

Does anyone know how I can set this up so I can install/update software on the server, and have all the workstations "grab" the software as they need?

Thanx beforehand.

PS: I DID search the forum before posting this, but was unable to find anything relevant. So please don't flame me.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

651 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-07-31
Yes, it can be done. I think it uses ISA server, but I'm probably wrong. Bump for you.

-bZj

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
OP
But how do you do it? Is there a guide on the internet I can take a look at?

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
You do this with group policy. First make a share with read and execute permission for everyone, and put your office install files there. beware that using this method only works for software that uses MSI installers.

then in active directory users and computers, go to the users, or group, or computers, or Ou etc, that you want to have the software. you can have them assign, publish, or somehting else software. Assign means the software will automagically install when they logon, publish means it will be available to them in add/remove programs. Usint the latter method you will have to memo them somehow to tell them to install it from add remove. Search the web for
"group policy" assign publish

And I'm sure you'll find lots of resources with howto's.

P.S. ISA server is basically microsoft's new proxy server and is unrelated to what you wish to do.

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
OP
Thanx for the reply and Information.

Unfortunatley, The Kinds of Applications I wish to share do NOT have MSI installers. They have the regular .EXE installers. Is there a way to convert a .EXE installer to a .MSI installer so that I can still provide the applications? Also How are updates done?

so I need answers to the following to questions. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out

1.) Is there a way to convert .EXE installers to .MSI installers?
2.) How are updates done? Lets Say I share up Microsoft office (of course with multiple available licenses for each PC). And I wish to update ALL machines to SR1 of office. How do you do it?

Thanx for replying beforehand.

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
Afaik, the software vendor needs to compile it for MSI, unless you have access to the sources. MS office of course is ready to go for your needs.
For non MSI you could use a batch file with if exist stuff for example

@exho off
Rem Installs program.exe if the machine does not currently have it.
if exist %systemroot%\installed.txt goto :end
echo >%systemroot%\installed.txt
\\path\to\program.exe
:end

Stick this in your logon script and modify the path for what you actually want to install.

i'm sure there is a better way to do it perhaps, but this is quick and dirty method, and involves very little effort on your part.

672 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-01
OP
please read above. the problem is not insalling a program. its making a program available for other machines if the setup files are not MSI files!

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
I did read above, and this is what im talling about.
Reread what I put, and assume "program.exe" is actually, "Setup.exe"
for whatever program it is you want to istall. Note that setup.xe does not have an msi file.

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
I think shassouneh wants to run just one installed copy, possibly via Terminal Server, or something similar.

However, since legally you will need to have the same number of licenses either way, (terminal server access or local install) you'd be better off trying to publish the installer via Group Policy as Duhmez has recommended, also performance would be a concern running Office in a Terminal Server environment.

There are several commercial packages that can create .MSI packages, they are often referred to as Microsoft Installer Packagers/Wrappers, or something to that effect. You might want to check out http://appdeploy.com/ for some more information on Group Policy publishing of appications.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
www.appdeploy.com should be your first stop as adamjackson has pointed out

Wise Package Studio is the best way to create MSI installations. I have used this in numerous bank roll outs.

If you want something far cheaper you can use MSI wrappers to install applications.

http://sywan.nl/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=15

Sorry if this was the main focus of this thread, I was reading the last posts.