IBM 120GXP problem under win2000

Hello. I've just bought a 120gb disk from IBM. After many problems i finally got it formatted, but transfering and reading files from it is a big problem. It's slow and it's lagging the system completely down.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar18.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-19
Hello.

I've just bought a 120gb disk from IBM. After many problems i finally got it formatted, but transfering and reading files from it is a big problem. It's slow and it's lagging the system completely down. I've tried to upgrade BIOS, VIA drivers and promise drivers. But theres no difference in the performance.

Anyone expirienced the same problem before?

MB: Asus A7V
512MB SDRAM

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

37 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-23
Could be the cable you're using... is it the 80-wire ATA cable, or something different (like rounded cables?). I've seen this problem before with old 40-wire cables...

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
It's an IBM. Check your event log for IDE errors, go to the IBM website and download the IBM diagnostics, finally rip it out of your system, bash it with a sledge about 50 times, throw the ashes in a furnace, take the ashes and dump them in an abandoned missle silo and fill it up with concrete all the way to the top.

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

309 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-13
Also check device manager and make sure the drive is running in DMA mode and not PIO.
S

data/avatar/default/avatar18.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-19
OP
I've tested several things now. And finally it worked when i tried using the ata-66 controller. But still i have a problem with the disk. It's making som weird noices when it's not working. Like a scratching-sound which accours from time to time. Like 10 minutes or so.

Is there a way to block it from making noices when it's not working?

data/avatar/default/avatar40.webp

169 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-04-04
IBM has been having MASSIVE problems with those drives - you should dump it ASAP. I even read somewhere where a IBM support rep told someone that they should never run their 120 more than 8 hours a day - WTF?!?!

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
I remember hearing that, too, a few months ago...

:x

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

146 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-13
Yup heard that one too from our Dell rep.

Stay away from IBM dirves period. I had major issues with Intergraph systems running their Ultrastar line. To say the least 23 of the 25 systems within 2 years, were replaced to the Quantum/Maxtor Atlas lines (which have been running great since). 8 of the systems drives were initially replaced within the first 2 months.

I can't say it enough, STAY AWAY FROM IBM DRIVES. Although I don't know about their microdrives.

JediBaron's right, trade for a new drive if you can. Seagate's and Fujitsu's are pretty solid and not much of a price difference.

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

163 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-26
NO NOT FUJI!!!!

fuji have crap thermal protection, worse than samsung!

Seagate, WD, Maxtor are good in that order.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

146 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-13
LOL.

I've had no problems with my Fuji sitting in my systems within a dual air conditioned closet. I'm serious.

I guess don't get Fuji if your're goin for regular room temperature.