Installing Windows 2000 on a newly Fdisk'ed Hard Drive

Hey all. Getting sick of Windows 98, so i've decided to go for Windows 2000 Professional, (which I will then upgrade to SP4, possibly via Slipstreaming). My PC is not up to XP minimum specs. I have created the Windows 2000 book disks and they worked fine, and I launched the Win 2000 Setup.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar31.webp

24 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-10
Hey all.

Getting sick of Windows 98, so i've decided to go for Windows 2000 Professional, (which I will then upgrade to SP4, possibly via Slipstreaming).

My PC is not up to XP minimum specs.

I have created the Windows 2000 book disks and they worked fine, and I launched the Win 2000 Setup. The problem is that i get an error msg and i dont have a clue why, at a certain stage.

The error meassge is:

STOP 0x0000001A (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) MEMEORY_MANAGEMENT

...I then have to restart my PC, in an attempt to go through the process againa, but i always get back to this same error message.

I went on to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and i got this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282504

I then checked my hardware against the System Requirements, needed for Win 2000 and I 'passed' the requirements.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar05.webp

748 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-05-21
You might have a bad stick of RAM - do a thorough test with memtest, which will pick up on any problems.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-28
Even if memtest doesn't pick up any errors, try a different stick of ram. Or if you have 2 "sticks" of ram, take off one and try that. Also, see if your mainboard has any bios updates.

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

1019 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-21
Remove everything that is installed or connected to your computer so the only things remaining in the case are:

Motherboard, processor, PSU, and cooling fan (of course).
Cables.
Graphics card.
One stick of RAM (at least 128 MB).
One hard drive.
One CDROM/DVD drive.
+Monitor,keyboard,mouse.
(+Device(s) which you cannot remove.)

If the installation success, add other devices one by one and test your system for while. Do not install all at the same time.