INTEL 850GB

My name is Mariano Iannuzzi, I am a frequent costumer of yours. This time I am contacting you as I am having some problems with one of my PCs. I have a motherboard Intel d850gb - gb85010a, a P4 at 1.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-07
My name is Mariano Iannuzzi, I am a frequent costumer of yours. This time I am contacting you as I am having some problems with one of my PCs.

I have a motherboard Intel d850gb - gb85010a, a P4 at 1.7GHz and a 80GB IDE hard drive. This machine had Windows 98SE installed and I wanted to upgrade to XP (Pro). I am constantly getting an error message saying “disk error” when windows tries to recognize the hard drive. I deleted all the partitions and created new ones, but still the same error. However, when re-installing W98SE I had no problems, and the installation finished ok. I installed the updates for the BIOS and the IDE drivers recommended by Intel and nothing. By the way, W2000Pro does the same than WXP.

First question for you, do you have any idea what it could be?

I’m wondering if the mother board has the IDE slot broken. But I don’t know why W98SE has no problems recognizing the hard disk. In that case, is the any kind of adapter for the hard drive to convert my HD form IDE to SCSI? (I tried with a borrowed SCSI hard drive and the installation for WXP started properly).

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
If you are using a secondary SCSI controller card then you will have to do an F6 install whether you attempt to install Win 2K or XP.

Do this by booting off the install CD and note at the bottom of the screen just after the boot process starts, you should see a line that states "Press the F6 key to install a third party RAID/SCSI controller driver."

Do this and have your floppy disc with the correct drivers on them handy. The install process will ask for a floppy disc to be inserted when you press the 'S' key at some point in this install process.

If you connect an IDE hard drive to the primary port on that motherboard, then an F6 install should not be neccessary, however, if there are still problems then there could indeed be some sort of hardware issue that Win 98 seems to gloss over/ignores.

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-03-07
OP
Hi, Thanks for your help.

I have an SCSI CD burner (Yamaha) and the systems boots from it. The HD is connected to the primary IDE...

Any clue?

Thanks again!

Mariano

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Go into the system BIOS and make sure both the primary and secondary IDE controllers are ENABLED and then try connecting the IDE hard drive up to the secondary controller port and see what happens this time