Intel D845BG Motherboard + 2.6GHZ Celeron?

Hi Gang, I've looked at the list of supported processors for my Intel D845BG motherboard and it doesn't list a single celeron processor faster than 1. 8GHZ. It does however list true pentium 4's going all the way up to 2.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
Hi Gang,
I've looked at the list of supported processors for my Intel D845BG motherboard

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845bg/sb/CS-013128.htm

and it doesn't list a single celeron processor faster than 1.8GHZ. It does however list true pentium 4's going all the way up to 2.6GHZ. The true Pentium 4 2.6GHZ CPU is 179 dollars, there's a celeron version for 78 dollars (less than half the price, and certainly not half the speed either). Has anyone tried an unsupported celeron on this motherboard with success? Does anyone know of a reason why this wouldn't work?
Thanks,
Christian Blackburn

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Christian, how the heck are you man, long time no post

On to the topic at hand, well here's the skinny on pretty much any mobo out there, be it Intel, Asus, Aopen whatever.

Yes, Intel produced the P4(Willamette, Northwood) at 400 FSB and with 128K and 512K L2 Cache respectively. These are the CPU's you can use on this mobo. According to the chart You can not even use the P4(Northwood) that runs at 533 FSB with 512K L2 Cache. You could try using one of the P4's listed above that runs at 533 FSB. Most likely the mobo will power on but will not POST

You can not use any of the latest CPU models from Intel, i.e., no Celeron D models period. These are based on the Prescott core running at 533 FSB and has 256K L2 Cache. You can not use any of the P4(Northwood) that runs at 800 FSB either, nor can you use any of the P4(Prescott) cpu's that run at either 533 or 800 FSB.

This just plain looks to be one of the first Socket 478 boards out there, not even 533 FSB support

data/avatar/default/avatar06.webp

760 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-10
OP
Hi Jimmjo,
I'm not trying to use a 533 or higher FSB celeron. The celeron in question isn't a Celeron D and is in fact 400MHZ so the real question becomes are the voltage, multiplier, and anything else I'm forgettting compatible? Obviously the bios might say unknown CPU at post, but so long as it also says 2800MHZ I'm a happy camper.
Cheers,
Christian Blackburn

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
So since it's a Celeron 2.8, it's possible that it will only recognice it as a 2.6 and possibly only clock it as such. Since the latest BIOS update does not mention support for this CPU it's also possible that again the mobo may just power on and not POST.

Will this damage the CPU/Mobo, probably not since the CPU is still an older Northwood core CPU.

All I can say is, if this is a local shop, could you possibly ask if they would be willing to test it out for you ?!?

If you have to purchase the CPU online then this is a most difficult decision, you maybe out the price of the CPU

My thinking is really just to upgrade the mobo and CPU but of course this usually means you have to upgrade the RAM for the latest Dual-Channel memory boards