KT133A + SB Audigy2 - What should I expect?

The motherboard in question is a Gigabyte 7ZXE (Socket A) with a KT133A chipset. I just ordered a Sound Blaster Audigy2 and am expecting it in a few days. I've heard that there were many issues (data corruption, instability, no POST) with the SB Live and Audigy1 cards when paired with KT133 motherboards.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-17
The motherboard in question is a Gigabyte 7ZXE (Socket A) with a KT133A chipset.

I just ordered a Sound Blaster Audigy2 and am expecting it in a few days. I've heard that there were many issues (data corruption, instability, no POST) with the SB Live and Audigy1 cards when paired with KT133 motherboards.

Did these issues solely affect the KT133 chipsets? Were these issues sorted out in the Audigy2 cards?

I appreciate any info given.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1915 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-30
Bro with all due respect puting an Audigy 2 on that board is like puting a Ferrari engine in a Ford Pinto.

You will have issues.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-17
OP
Heh. Good analogy. What sound card would you recommend, then?

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

1915 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-30
Look into the Fortissimo series, I would stay away from the High end ones,.

Also maybe Santa Cruz, which is an excellent card and I ran that on that chipset with no issues.

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

136 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-19
i all ready did this change to a customer with the same motherboard and is running good

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

117 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-14
I have a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum sound card in my SOYO KT133A board and I have experienced no problems at all.
No problems, great 3D sound, no corruption. And the drivers for the SBLive! from Creative (WinXP) are almost a year old (July 2002). You would think they would have posted a fixed driver if there were problem.

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
Do not listen to the ones who want to play it safe. Everything goes as long as someone is trying hard enough

There was a review of some processors from 100mhz to 3,06GHZ and they actualy tried a ATI RADEON 9700 on a Pentium 100 (It had 14fps in quake3).

Never mind, my friend has a liteon 48x burner on a pentium 166.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-17
OP
The Audigy2 is installed and so far, so good. The computer booted fine, I prompty disabled my AC97 onboard sound, installed the drivers, and updated to the latest ones. No crashes, BSODs, or any other unusual behavior.