Map network win2000 server drive in win98

Hello experts, So my problem is this: In my 2000 server i got a directory (app) and i shared it to the administrator (with full control) and user (a user that can only see and not write). From the clients (winxp, win98, etc) i want to map a network drive to the app directory.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-12
Hello experts,

So my problem is this:
In my 2000 server i got a directory (app) and i shared it to the administrator (with full control) and user (a user that can only see and not write).
From the clients (winxp, win98, etc) i want to map a network drive to the app directory. From the XP's i got no problems, but from the 98's i can't.

Here's the script to do it and that works in XP:

net use M: \\2000server\app userpass /user:user

Seems like the NET command in win98 doesn't have the same arguments in 98 that it does in xp

What can i use to make it go?

Thank you in advance

Jorge

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Win 98 was set up originally to use NetBui for its network connection. W2K also has the ability to install NetBui. On a small network this is ok and actually the 98 machines will communicate faster. If you are using TCP/IP in your connection assign the IP addresses for the 98 machines first so that the serveer finds them and they find it.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-12
OP
The problem is that i can't seem to connect to the 2000server this way. Are you saying that is i install the NetBeui protocol my problem is solved?

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
By installing Netbui into W2K, it will not immediately resolve the logon, but it will allow you a different way for the 98 machines to find your server. If you put together a domain like MainOffice and have some of your computers attached to it (98's using Netbui) and make your server a member of that domain, they should be able to see each other.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-12
OP
Ok.
I'll give a try and then i'll let you know about the result.

Thank you for your time gentlemen,

Jorge