MSI 865PE NEO2-LS Problems

I just bought this mobo along with a Intel 2. 4c HT cpu with 2x512MB PC3200 ram. Now I bought it all at the same time and the place that i bought it from but the cpu and ram in and tested it to make sure it all worked.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

95 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-31
I just bought this mobo along with a Intel 2.4c HT cpu with 2x512MB PC3200 ram. Now I bought it all at the same time and the place that i bought it from but the cpu and ram in and tested it to make sure it all worked. Now when they tested it they put a test agp card in and showed me on a monitor when it booted up to check that everything was installed good and everything in the bios looked good. OK so far so good.. BUT when i take it home it didnt work.

The computer will only boot up if i dont have my agp video card in. If i put a pci card in i can get it to boot up and get into the bios. My agp card that i have is a hercules 4500. Now i was looking it up and this mobo wont support a 3.3V card and i have tried looking up and i cant find if this video card is 3.3v or 1.5v. In the bios the agp voltage is set to 1.5v.

So heres the senario... i take the card out, computer boots up, shut it off put my card in, try to boot..nothing.. ... mobo is dead dont get any type of respose intill i pull my card out and bamn it starts up.

Also when i do get it working with a pci card and through in the cd to install windows.. some time durring installation it gives me an error. some kinda blue screen saying that windows has found an issue ...please check disks..... windows has stoped to prevent damage to the computer.... blah blah...

Has anyone had this type of issue with this mobo at all? or know if there is issues with it with the video card that i have?.. i have tried my video card in 4 other machines that i have at my house and it works great.

I am about to take this mobo/ram/cpu back to were i bought it from to see if they know whats wrong or can exchange but i have no time till tuesday, i was going to see if you guys could shed some light on this first..

Thanx

Masterfinn

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

530 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-09
From Hercules FAQ

Quote:I heard that KYROII based graphics cards, such as 3D Prophet 4500, can cause the frying of motherboards based on i845 and i850.

This assumption is wrong. 3D Prophet 4500 works perfectly with motherboards based i845 and i850, the typical motherboards controllers for Pentium 4. Actually, motherboards based on i845 and i850 are AGP 4X, 2X, 1X, supporting only 1.5 volts AGP signals.

An AGP 4X graphics board delivers 1.5 volt AGP signals; an AGP 2X graphics board (typically 3D Prophet 4500) can actually deliver both 1.5 and 3.3 volt AGP signal.

If the motherboard is based on I845 or I850, then 3D Prophet 4500 will automatically deliver 1.5 volt AGP signals.

The 3D Prophet 4500 has been successfully tested on the following motherboards for Pentium 4:

Intel 850:
AOpen AX4T
Asus P4T
Gigabyte GA-8TX
Intel D850GB
MSI MS-6339

Intel 845:
Epox 4B2A2
MSI MS-6529(845 Pro)
MSI MS-6528(845 Pro2)
Gigabyte GA-8IDMLC
Intel D845WN

It should work, but it also might not since i865 is a newer chipset. Try switching to agp 2x or 1x if you can.

From MSI page:

Quote:One AGP slot supports 8x/4x at 0.8V (AGP 3.0) or 4x at 1.5V (3.3v is not supported) 
I guess you're out of luck. Your mobo doesn't support 2x AGP, but kyroII is a 2x AGP card.

Get a new one. Something that supports 8x AGP. I have a ATI radeon 9600 that is quite nice, but I would recomend a radeon 9500 or radeon 9700 or if you can afford it a radeon 9800.
____________________________________________Hope I helped

data/avatar/default/avatar38.webp

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
I am assuming that video card is a 2x agp card. The 865pe chipset only supports agp 4x and 8x so the 2x board will not work with the chipset.

data/avatar/default/avatar27.webp

95 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-10-31
OP
Thanx for the quick responses

and ya i think im outa luck here with this card working with this mobo damn 2x agp...hehe.... Oh well i guess my new systetm will just be a big dust collecter till i get a new v/c.........meh

Thanx again

Masterfinn

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
Quote:Thanx for the quick responses

and ya i think im outa luck here with this card working with this mobo damn 2x agp...hehe.... Oh well i guess my new systetm will just be a big dust collecter till i get a new v/c.........meh

Thanx again

Masterfinn

and don't try too much, you could burn the motherbord (i did it one). it just lighted up like a candle!!!! (it was a Savage card!)