msi fx5200 td 128 screen refresh

A month ago i bought a msi fx5200 (AGP) to replace my pci gf4 420 card. Installed it and used the drivers on the cd. Immediately i noticed the screen refreshing at random intervals. I did the usual troubleshooting, lowering the refresh rate to 75 - 72 -60 and also the res and colour bits ,etc.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-21
A month ago i bought a msi fx5200 (AGP) to replace my pci gf4 420 card. Installed it and used the drivers on the cd. Immediately i noticed the screen refreshing at random intervals. I did the usual troubleshooting, lowering the refresh rate to 75 - 72 -60 and also the res and colour bits ,etc. This made the problem worse, so i sent the card back and got a replacement from another site. I did fresh intall of XP, installed the latest DX9b(also have used 8.1-9.0b) and used the drivers from the msi website 44.03(also used up to 45....), updated my agp drivers to the latest on the gigabyte site. The problem was still there with the different card. I then spoke to the shop where i got the card and they suggested i do the above and also flash my MB bios, which i did. This has not solved the problem. However this problem only affects my desktop and micro$oft flight sim 2002. When i play wolfenstein, CS, SS,MOH,Ghost recon etc the screen is fine. The only way i can stop the screen refreshing is to disable all acceleration on the card for day to day use and enable it for gaming. The only things that i can think of causing this problem is that my MB is agp 4 x and the card is 8, but the manual says its supports 4 x and is seen to do so in the agp utility i've got or the agp slot on the MB is damaged but why is it ok in intensive games?
specs are for this pc
P4 2.4 @2.4
msi gf FX5200 td 128
gigabyte ga-8sr533p MB
512 pc2700 generic ram
2x 80GB drives
ricoh cdrw
etc
Maybe there is a compatibility issue somewhere
cheers
mat

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
You have probably already done this, but since you moved from a pci card to an AGP card, go into the Gigabyte bios and check to see if the AGP is given the preference at bootup. You can also set it to 4X just in case it is set to 2X.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-21
OP
yep already done the bios thing and the card is running and 4x according to the sis agp utility.
cheers

data/avatar/default/avatar22.webp

1438 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-04
why did u buy this card!!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

might as well return it and get a ti4600 or a ti4200

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-21
OP
Cheap, £50 and want to play HL 2, don't care about fancy AA etc in games. Cheapest ti card i could find was £100. Plus i was using a pci card before, and anything is better than that.Also got ghost recon and few other games.