Need for Speed 4 under Win2000

Hi, I know it's an old game, but I still love it. But it just won't install under Windows 2000. It gives me an error Message that says: NFS4 can only be installed under Win95 and 98 Is there anything, that can provide the compatibility, like an emulator or a patch or something.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-04
Hi,

I know it's an old game, but I still love it. But it just won't install under Windows 2000. It gives me an error Message that says: "NFS4 can only be installed under Win95 and 98"

Is there anything, that can provide the compatibility, like an emulator or a patch or something. I've already asked the guys from electronic arts, but they can't help me.

I hope there's some talented computer freak out there, woho can help me in this matter.

Thanks and greets to everyone.

D

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar37.webp

178 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-11-03
is NFS4 the Porsche Unleashed one? If it is, it was working in W2000 (SP2) and it is working in XP straight out of the box.

sorry, my mistake NFS4 is the High Stakes one.... and I couldn't get it to work either

data/avatar/default/avatar28.webp

136 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-19
Question: How can I get NFS4 to run in Windows 2000?
Answer: We really only know of one way. There is a patch we have on our site that you can find here to download. Read all the instructions very carefully before starting. If this patch doesn't work for you, then you're screwed.

http://www.nfscheats.com/?section=downloads&list=nfs4&id=268&category=Patches

also see here.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?function=view_thread&threadid=2146

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

124 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-23
argh.this game was working for ages...now it says it won't run because i have less than 1 meg free..... (over 6 gig free)

grrr

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-07
You need to first make sure you put a short cut on your desktop or the setup.exe for the game and choose compatiablity for 98 or 95. Do a full install. Now you need to patch it with 4.5 patch. You are not finished yet. You need to take a file from Need For Speed - Porsche Unleashed called dx7z.dll from the driver folder of the game. Rename it to d3da.dll and put it in Need For Speed 4 folder and replace it with the one that is in there. Now run. 3dsetup, choose what video, more likely direct3d 1. if it doesn't know your card and say ok. Now run the game.