Network not seeing Windows 2003 DHCP server

I am running a small network, using a windows 2003 machine as the DHCP server and the other computers on the network can't seem to pull ip addresses from the DHCP server. I am no expert on networking, are there any additional things I need to set up? I realize i could just use a linksys router or whatnot to do this ...

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar21.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-28
I am running a small network, using a windows 2003 machine as the DHCP server and the other computers on the network can't seem to pull ip addresses from the DHCP server. I am no expert on networking, are there any additional things I need to set up?

I realize i could just use a linksys router or whatnot to do this, but this is kind of a little experiment to see if i can gain more control over the network using a windows server.

My current setup is as follows:

- The Server is connected on a hub with two machines running Windows XP Pro.

- I made sure that the DHCP server is activated. I am not running active directory so it is not prompting me to authorize the DHCP server.

- The DHCP Scope that is available is 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199, with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

- The windows 2003 Server has two Network cards, (I am ultimately wanting to set it up as a NAT server but that will come when I can get the DHCP working) one card is set as a static ip address of 192.168.1.1 and I am telling the DHCP server to run on this interface. The other network card is connected to the internet (through a cable modem).

- I set the DHCP server options to provide my isp's DNS servers and 192.168.1.1 as a gateway to the DHCP clients.

- I have the windows XP machines set to obtain IP address and DNS information automatically. If i run ipconfig /renew it times out every time.

If any additional information is needed, I will be happy to provide it to the best of my knowledge =)

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

37 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-26
You may have a different issue (cable or hub) put in the Ip manually on one of the client machines and make sure that they can talk to one another. This can at least verify that the cables and hub are good.

This is just a normal hub right?

After you have verified that, try deleting the scope from the DHCP console and recreating. You accidently may have added or left something out. Never hurts.

Also this may be far fetched but disable the internet nic and then see what happens. Just to see how it may affect everything.