NT 4 PDC. I want a 2000 BDC for it Possible??? How?

I currently have no BDC but I do have a 2000 standalone. I ran dcpromo but it seems to only work if there is AD on the network. How can I make it a BDC emulator for my NT 4 domain? I want my SAm backed up, and I want logon fault tolerance, and I do not want to upgrade the NT 4 BDC yet.

Everything New Technology 1823 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
I currently have no BDC but I do have a 2000 standalone. I ran dcpromo but it seems to only work if there is AD on the network.

How can I make it a BDC emulator for my NT 4 domain?

I want my SAm backed up, and I want logon fault tolerance, and I do not want to upgrade the NT 4 BDC yet....

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
Quote:BDC emulator

Windows 2000 can only operate as a PDC emulator ... you would need to migrate to or create a 2000 domain for win2k to be a domain controller.

You could always create a backup copy of your SAM before you migrate to win2k on a offline nt4 bdc.

You can also add NT4 bdc to a win2k mixed mode domain.

Sorry though, no such thing as a NT4 PDC and a 2000 BDC running in a single domain context.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

581 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-27
OP
After scouring the web, I thought I may end up at this point.

just wanted confirmation.

Any way to make the 2k machine the new pdc emulator and dmeote my current nt4 to bdc?

It seems whack that I can't make my shiny new 2000 server mix with my aging nt 4 box which probably would not usrvive the upgrade due to what we're running.