Oi A7V333 and strange mouse/keyboard lockups

Ok so I have a friend who just built a PC centered around this mainboard. . Full stats are as follows: Asus A7V333 (non-raid) AthlonXP 2200+ (no overclock) 1 Gigabyte corsair DDR3200 Dynatron Heatsink Fan Sony DVD 16x On primary IDE channel (On board) 2x Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM units on a promise fastrack TX200 ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

67 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-29
Ok so I have a friend who just built a PC centered around this mainboard..

Full stats are as follows:

Asus A7V333 (non-raid)
AthlonXP 2200+ (no overclock)
1 Gigabyte corsair DDR3200
Dynatron Heatsink Fan
Sony DVD 16x On primary IDE channel (On board)
2x Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM units on a promise fastrack TX2000 Raid card
SoundBlaster Audigy X-Gamer
Visiontek Extasy TI4600
3com 3c905C net card
MS Natural Keyboard Pro on USB only
MS intellimouse explorer on USB only
Windows XP home

Install went smooth as silk

Lockups are completely random and ONLY affect input from mouse/keyboard not the entire system.. sometimes only mouse (most frequently) sometimes only keyboard sometimes both..

All windows updates installed/not installed seems to make no difference

USB 2.0 drivers /latest bios/Via 4-in-1s installed or not in various combos nothing seems to affect the problem.

Have tried system both with and without the net card, and without sound card and problem seems to persist.

Am pulling hair out here any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
how many stcks of memory are you using?
;(
if you are using more than 1 stick, one of them could be bad. put them on one by one and test the system with each of them to see if you get the same problem. if the memory is not good Win XP may give you a blue screen or later you may end up with corrupted files. :x
TIP: a better way is to run a memory test on each stick for few hrs.
you can download a trial version of bunch of them from download.com

67 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-29
OP
its 2 sticks.. but we have tested with each individually and its got same issue.

Remember its not bluescreening..just mouse and or keyboard "stop responding"

Thanks for hints though If anything else springs to mind holler!

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

316 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-07-27
Any programs running in background?

once some network service gave me such a problem but when we disconnected the network plug it seemed to go back to normal. I don't remember how we fixed it. (this doesn't seem to be the same problem as you are having since you have taken the NIC out)

Have you tried leaving the task manager open to see what program has the most CPU usage at the time when mouse and/or keyboard stops responding. there might be a clue.

67 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-29
OP
hrrm will try that.. its hard though as the guy I am trying to troubleshoot for lives in North Dakota and I am in florida!

I recall having similar issues myself under the early win2k betas.. but that was traced back to incompatible mouse drivers and it was a permanent afffliction that required switching from logitech mouse /ms natural keyboard pro to both mouse and keyboard being MS products.

Its the strangest problem i Have ever heard about heh..

data/avatar/default/avatar17.webp

757 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-10-14
After checking the RAM, I would mostly assume that this would be a motherboard issue. Awhile back I had an a7v133 come into the shop with the same problem, but it was quite obvious as to what the problem was as the keyboard would work if you moved the connector around, then it would stop working.

When the keyboard stops responding can you press cap/scroll/num lock and will the lights change at all? If so, this could be a software issue.

67 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-29
OP
Apparently it was an issue of having too much stuff enabled on board.

Long and short of it.. Disabling the ps2 mouse/keyboard irqs and switching from APIC to PIC fixed the problem?

Not sure why/how he managed to be on APIC setting but that did the trick.. thanks for suggestions people