P133MHz & 128MB memory enough for a home router?

I thought about using this machine as a home router. There will be 3 pc's behind it; 2 surf the web quite frequently, & 1 will be a 24/7 Counter-Strike server. I thought about installing NT4 on it, but am tempted to use a Linux program found that runs off the floppy drive & doesn't even need a hard disk.

Slack Space 1613 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

149 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-02
I thought about using this machine as a home router. There will be 3 pc's behind it; 2 surf the web quite frequently, & 1 will be a 24/7 Counter-Strike server. I thought about installing NT4 on it, but am tempted to use a Linux program found here that runs off the floppy drive & doesn't even need a hard disk.

Will using this machine slow down or hinder my other pc's "performance" (i.e., up/download speeds) on the 'Net? Shall I use a beefier machine instead?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

54 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-01-03
Quote:I thought about using this machine as a home router. There will be 3 pc's behind it; 2 surf the web quite frequently, & 1 will be a 24/7 Counter-Strike server. I thought about installing NT4 on it, but am tempted to use a Linux program found here that runs off the floppy drive & doesn't even need a hard disk.

Will using this machine slow down or hinder my other pc's "performance" (i.e., up/download speeds) on the 'Net? Shall I use a beefier machine instead?
Should work fine main thing I would recommend is the use of high end NIC's...If you ran a OS that let you check Cpu usage, such as win2k pro you would know for sure ..I would bet it would be fairly small.
The Floppysolution sounds efficient.

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

59 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-22
If your looking for a good free (GPL) and easy to install (well documented) firewall try Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org). It has a web based admin screen and is very easy to use. The firewall PC needs to be an Intel 486-compatible, Pentium, or higher (Pentium II, Pentium III)with a minimum of 16Mb of RAM. Download ISO is only 20MB.

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3857 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-03-29
Use smoothwall, and that machine would be overkill (in other words, go for it). Since smoothwall is made to *be* a firewall, it would be a better choice than setting up RRAS in NT or adding another app to NT to make it work.

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

149 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-02
OP
Thx for the info people I had already used smoothwall & its counterpart ipcop as well, but on more powerful machines (PII type pc's). I was just worried that this P133 may be a little overloaded running either smoothie or ipcop. That's why I looked at the "router on a floppy" solution from BBIAgent.

Has anyone had any experience with the BBIAgent router? I would like to know how it worked for you.