Port 1002 and 1720 issues

Hi everyone, I have installed Sygate Personal Firewall freeware version on my machine (OS Win2k) and everything works great but i have tested the security by scanning my first 1056 ports and I failed the test because of the ports 1002 and 1720.

Windows Networking 2246 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-21
Hi everyone,

I have installed Sygate Personal Firewall freeware version on my machine (OS Win2k) and everything works great but i have tested the security by scanning my first 1056 ports and I failed the test because of the ports 1002 and 1720. I find out that these are ports used by NetMeeting and if this application is not used (my case) the ports are not used by any application at all.
I have been recomended though to close the two open ports for a better security but I really don't know how...

Can anyone advice me in this matter?

Thank you in advance,
Rem.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

1019 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-21
Disable the "NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing" service from Start->Run->"services.msc".

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-21
OP
Thanks Wilhelmus,

but actually I did that and still the security scan test indicates the same problem. I had Net Meeting uninstalled , I had disable it from "Services" even the Messenger sevice!

data/avatar/default/avatar09.webp

1019 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-21
Quote:
This port's apparent association with Microsoft's ICS (Internet connection sharing) was discovered empirically by noticing that only people who were using ICS had this port open, and that everyone who was using ICS (and necessarily NetMeeting), without any additional external protection, had this port open and exposed to the Internet

http://grc.com/port_1002.htm
and
http://grc.com/port_1720.htm

Try disabling the ICS service.
Also, does the Sygate firewall have option do disallow/block certain ports? If it does, block those ports, if that helps.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-21
OP
Thanks again,

I was searching the same pages you did the other days and I came to a conclusion: i have to buy a safer firewall. Even though Sygate is one of the best freeware solutions avalable today, I think it cannot protect me enough and only because of this stupid ports.

I cannot disable ICS as I am running a LAN and even I'm not using and I had deactivated NetMeeting I still have the two ports open.

Or maybe I can set the Win2k default firewall to work this out?

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-21
OP
Hello again,

Finally sworted it out!

Opened Microsoft Management Console Run/MMC and then configured the console on IP Security Policies on Local Machine to block Port 1002 and 1720...

Anyway, my LAN , applications, etc are working normaly and the two ports are finally blocked...