PRB 6600GT

Hello, I encounter very strange prb with my video card Sparkle 6600GT AGP. When I don't plug the 4-pin supply cable of the card, all is all-right execpt the driver detects the lack of power and switch on low-quality mode which is very very slowly when gaming.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-09
Hello,
I encounter very strange prb with my video card Sparkle 6600GT AGP.
When I don't plug the 4-pin supply cable of the card, all is all-right execpt the driver detects the lack of power and switch on low-quality mode which is very very slowly when gaming. But anyway I can boot, I can start Window XP Pro, and I can work.
When I plug the 4-pin cable, problems arise: I have to restart several times before having the BIOS POST screen !!! And several times to have Windows starting but freezing during start. And when I could log on Windows at last, it sometimes freeze even when just scrolling on Internet Explorer...
Any idea ? I have an 540W Antec power supply, 2 Xeons 3.06Ghz on ASUS PC-DL bi-dual motheroard, 3 hard disks and a combo...But imo 540W should be enought.
The prb seems to be hardware.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-10
have you solved the problem. i am having same problem with Aopen 6600GT

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
There could be a compatibility issue with the motherboard and that graphics card. Have you checked the Asus site for a BIOS update, even a BETA one, to see if there is a fix for this.

I would agree that 540 watt Antec supply should work fine for a Dual-Xeon rig you described

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-09
OP
I've not solved the problem (won't try anything before week-end cause my gf wouldn't appreciate )
So far i've just reseted my CMOS and planed to flash the BIOS tomorrow with the latest version available.
Maybe you're right with my motherboard, I've had quite same problem with an ATI RADEON 9600(?) last year : my PC managed to boot, but I could only see coloured squares on the screen (but all was all-right in POST test mode). So I changed for the NVIDIA...

data/avatar/default/avatar20.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-08
its your psu.. wen you plug the 4 pin in do you plug it direct or do you use a 3 way add on cable... should plug it direct..i had same problem.

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
Originally posted by slimmatt01:

Quote:its your psu.. wen you plug the 4 pin in do you plug it direct or do you use a 3 way add on cable... should plug it direct..i had same problem. 
Normally if you have a good/decent PS, this shouldn't matter what so ever, however, this is a very good suggestion to try out. Also note that another, perhaps a higher rated PS is in order as well.

I've been using Antec/Enermax/Channel Well power supplies for years now and they all have very good ratings. The fact that the original poster mentions using an Antec PS is troubling to me in that it's possible it could be faulty

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-09
OP
Hello,
well i flashed my MB BIOS and graphics card BIOS (change int o AGP fastwrite off, and lower frequency for 3D), but with no success. Maybe only when gaming it's more stable. But still problem to boot. I guess my PSU is bad also. I plug a 4 pin cable that came directly from the PSU. I've tried other cable, but no amelioration.
ASUS probe give me these values (average):
11.9 for 12V
4.75 for 5V
3.1 for 3.3V
1.49 for VCore
I've heard that this PSU (ANTEC 540) doesn't deliver very stable voltage. But I don't know if those values (nominal values are not reached) are OK or not.
Pity, 540W PSU is not cheap ;(