Problems with ECS N2U400-A ....

I am having problems with this board. . . ECS N2U400-A. . . There are 2 problems 1) It doesn't like the pci soundcard. . . it comes up an exclamation mark on the gameport and on the another setting within the device manager.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar16.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-08-17
I am having problems with this board... ECS N2U400-A ... There are 2 problems
1) It doesn't like the pci soundcard... it comes up an exclamation mark on the gameport and on the another setting within the device manager... i moved the card up and down all the pci slots. I have yamaha sound card with the 724f chip ... card works though. I used the onboard sound and the works with no problems. I used a cmedia pci card and that gave me a similar problem. Only card that didnt' have the problem was a soundblaster
2) The next problem is that after using the computer for a while it will freeze then all of a sudden the display setting switch to 16 or 256 colors and to a resolution of 640 x 480

I am running windows XP on an Athlon xp 2400+ chip and 2x256mb ram
I also flashed the bios to the newest rev. 1.0D
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
You will want to go into your Bios and disable your onboard sound driver. When you bring up Windows, you will want to remove any of the soundboard devices. Then, shut it down. Install your new soundboard. If windows finds it, it will tell you that you have new hardware. If it doesn't you will have to go into the Device Manager and Add it using the software that came with the card.
As to the second problem - you may have an overheating processor. This is just a guess on my part. Since you are opening the thing up to put in a new card, leave it open so that a lot more air can get to it and then bring up the programs that stress it and see if it reboots. Some people even run a fan on it. This is no sure fire way of telling you if there is a heat problem because AMD processors get hot fast. There are some software programs that can measure the temperature of the processor that you might want to try to see if your fan on the processor is pulling the heat away or if the heatsink is making good contact.