Riva 128/V2 replacement card suggestions?

Since it now appears the V2 W2K solution isn't that good, I have a question. I've got a PPro 200. Back when I was trying to decide between the V2, V3, and TNT video card EVERYONE told me how the V2 performance is much better on lower end machines (sigh - I remember the days where I wasn't lower end), and the TNT di ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar13.webp

36 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-21
Since it now appears the V2 W2K solution isn't that good, I have a question.

I've got a PPro 200. Back when I was trying to decide between the V2, V3, and TNT video card EVERYONE told me how the V2 performance is much better on lower end machines (sigh - I remember the days where I wasn't lower end), and the TNT did not scale well to my system (and at the time the V3 was having all kinds of driver problems)

Well, now the V2 drivers are out, and it no longer is an option in W2K. What would be a good choice for replacing the Riva 128/V2 combination in my PC (again - only a PPro 200)? I'll be looking for something with decent support in both W2K and W95, and preferably nothing too expensive (not a GeForce or some other top of the line card).

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar34.webp

293 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-18
hmmm v2 would be the best for a 200 mhz puter, have uthought about the banshee? Im not surte if ur problem is win2k compatibility or performance?

the banshee is a good lower end card and wont set u back anything if u sell off ur other 2 cards, at www.agn3d.com

BUT to be honest Im not sure how the banshee works with win2k.

36 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-21
OP
Yeah - the problem is compatibility. The V2 works fine (for my computer's speed), but since it doesn't work in W2K, I'm considering purchasing another card. I don't know if I will or not, but with my low end machine, I haven't kept up with the video card industry very much. I don't know what would be good choices.

293 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-18
well the banshee should render u very similiar performance, but in some multitextured games u'll notice a drop in performance, and an increase in other games that are not (b/c the banshee has a higher clock speed, and they both have the same core).

Plus Im thinking you dont have an agp slot so the banshee pci should be ideal for ur needs.

lemme look around for banshee and win2k results.

293 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-18
hmm sems to work like a charm.

36 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-10-21
OP
So, the banshee is a 3dfx product? Just looking over at 3dfx's web site, they don't have W2K drivers listed. Is it supported by W2K out of the box? And if so, does that also include D3D support?