screensaver windows 2000???

I am trying to set a screensaver (password protected) for a thin clent user on windows 2000 network. i have tried to access control panel applications (display) but am denied access. Is this a permissions problem? I am extremely new to networking so can anyone help by giving me step by step instructions???? Cheers.

Windows Software 5498 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-27
I am trying to set a screensaver (password protected) for a thin clent user on windows 2000 network. i have tried to access control panel applications (display) but am denied access. Is this a permissions problem? I am extremely new to networking so can anyone help by giving me step by step instructions????
Cheers. matt

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
Screensavers are per-user settings. If the currently logged-on user does not have sufficient permissions, you can either temporarily elevate the user's privliges, change the users's/OU's screensaver settings, or log in as an administrator and change the screensaver settings as per-machine in regedit.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

738 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-11
Adam brought up some good point. I'll just add a few more.

You can always build a user profile with the current specifications and add it to the Default User profile. All new created profiles from then on will receive those settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=319974

Quote:you can either temporarily elevate the user's privliges 
EPAL would do this. Though is maybe a security risk.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/downloads/epal.mspx

The best way of course would be GPOs attached to OUs containing User Accounts were you could manipulate default settings.

Ping us back if you need more help.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-27
OP
Thanks for your prompt attention...have decided to try regedit approach. What do i need to change? I have found the reg keys for screensavers (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Screen Saver.stars) in right pane: (default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Should this data value be altered? not to sure about setting password and screensaver time delay etc...some more help would be really appreciated. Cheers for your help so far.
Matt

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-27
OP
Cheers for your help guys,
I copied the registry values from the administrator account (where i successfully setup the password protected screensaver) onto the thin client user. I found these in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/desktop then altered the values in the right pane. Just one question though. On the administrator account i have the 3d flying text, this is not present in the user registry. How can i create a registry key so that i can write in the text for the screensaver
?

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

2172 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-26
That regkey is probably created the first time the default text is modified.