Serious ATI 9800 Pro Problem (i think)

Ok heres a real brain buster, I built a system fairly cutting edge: AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 2. 0GHZ 1MB L2 CACHE SOCKET-754 CPU Thermaltake A1838 Silent Boost K8 Venus Series Cooler ASUS K8V Deluxe AMD Athlon 64 CPU BOARD Kingston Hyper-X 1024MB DDR400 (PC3200 / CL2) SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP BUL ...

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-06-30
Ok heres a real brain buster,

I built a system fairly cutting edge:

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 2.0GHZ 1MB L2 CACHE SOCKET-754 CPU
Thermaltake A1838 Silent Boost K8 Venus Series Cooler
ASUS K8V Deluxe AMD Athlon 64 CPU BOARD
Kingston Hyper-X 1024MB DDR400 (PC3200 / CL2)
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK
WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE 80.0GB/120.0GB ULTRA-ATA/100 7200RPM
Power Magic Titanium Plated Heavy Duty 600watt ATX Power Supply With Internal Dual Case Fan

also i have laser leds and neons, but you'll see why im mentioning that later.

anyways, i started playing COD... no problems, and Halo without a hitch. then later i played JK3 and my video just corrupts. It looks like artifacting, then it just goes to blocks and various colors, then i lose video signal, and somtimes the Motherboard will power off.

Ok, i think. its a bad video card from pricewatch. so i get a brand new ATI 9800 Pro 128 from bestbuy. Hook it up, and in 30 seconds my video does the same thing.

Now im pretty agravated, i talk to some IT ppl and they say my power supply may be my problem. And i did see a marginal improvment when i removed my neons from my case, but it still did it.

It only seems to happen when i run 3d games like JK3, prince of persia (just tried it and it did it) but the drivers are never corrupt, although i have uninstalled drivers and updated, and used 3rd party, and just about anything you can think of with the drivers. It doesnt do it during direct X tests, or during benchmarks *often* (3Dmark. and aquamark)I changed my AGP from 1.5v to 1.7v, no avail. Turned of fast write, no dice. Changed my auptutre from 64 to 128 just hoping without luck.

I really dont know what to do at this point, i ordered an enermax 470w PSU and im just waiting for it in the mail. But i have a suspition that its not going to resolve this problem. I feel like the problem is staring me in the face and i just dont see it, i need help.

Thanks for reading,

Charlie

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

1457 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-12-18
Did you use Driver Cleaner after you uninstalled the Catalyst drivers? Some people don't care for the program since early on in its history it caused some problems. When you uninstall video drivers in Windows, there are often pieces that are left on the hard drive, especially .inf files, that remain behind and "mess" up your new installation because they weren't removed.

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-06-30
OP
well i dont think it was the drivers since i threw a enermax 470 into it and it seems to have solved the problem. tomarro im going to test prince of pursia and halo

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

238 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-25
Ur setup is a major power hog, so power would be a problem.
The enermax PSU's r good, and have high current draw so itl be better than the generic one!

data/avatar/default/avatar12.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-06-28
Hi VenomSniper,

It had problems with my drivers for my new Radeon 9800 Pro, it may not be whats causing your problem but its worth a though.

I had to uninstall all my Catalyst drivers for the card that came with it (they knackered my system) by using DriverCleaner program. Then i installed the Radeon 9800 Pro OMEGA DRIVERS (found at www.omegadrivers.net). These will run your gfx card just the same but do not cause problems like the ATI catalyst drivers do. They run my card perfectly.

Again the drivers may not be the cause of your problem, but you never know... :):

One more thing, is your card overheating? This could cause the graphics to go strange and possibly cause your computer to either crash or reset. I know this, because occasionally my PC also resets especially when it gets hot (its only happening since i installed the new Radeon Pro 9800 card, i find that taking the side panel off my PC to let the cool air in actually helps it to not reset!).

Best of luck,

James