Sonic 3D doesn´t install in Windows 2000!

I have an Sonic 3D original CD. It was designed to work only in Windows 95 and 98. I have tried to install it on windows 2000 with no success. . . When I run the Setup file it asks where I would like to install the game.

Windows Games 5469 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar24.webp

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
I have an Sonic 3D original CD. It was designed to work only in Windows 95 and 98. I have tried to install it on windows 2000 with no success...
When I run the Setup file it asks where I would like to install the game. I indicate drive E:, where I have my win2000 partition, but the game replies with a strange error: sometthing like... "you have less than 5 mb on your hard drive..."

I then used the aplication compatibility tool because this program as 1 fix in which it SHOULD "correct the incorrect detection of 2 Gb+ Hard disks". But it didn´t work!!!
I also tried Qfixapp, using Win98 fixes, but that did´nt work either!!! ;(
Strange... it seems the game doesn´t like NTFS or something...
Could anybody help here?? I have no ideias...

Thanx!!!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
OP
Hey guys come on... Don´t you people have any ideias??

data/avatar/default/avatar39.webp

3867 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-04
Ok, your using the Qfixapp from the ACT 2.6?
If that doesn't work try APCOMPAT.EXE from the Windows 2000 CD in the SUPPORT folder.

The error your getting is not an NTFS error but rather a bug in the Installshield installer that errors out when it see's your HUGE amount of disk space.

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
OP
No, I'm using ACT v1.5 because I have still SP2. See...I have also been waiting for the Win2000 SP3 release!

I even used your link to download the 120 Mb file (I have cable thank God ;( !) short time after... even before it´s oficial release!!!

Unfortunately only after I downloaded the file, and tried to install it I remembered: Geeee....I have de portuguese version!! 8)
And the only version available at that time was, of course, the english language version...
Well at least my friend who has de Win2000 Eng. version used it... My effort was not totally in vain...

Anyway 23 days have passed since the SP3 oficial release and I still don´t see any Portuguese version available! Only the awful brazilian one...
Mine isn´t that one, I really can´t understand why we should come after the hebrew or arabic versions, that were released today I think... I have nothing against these countries or populations but... after all MS is an american corporation!

Is portuguese so difficult to translate? I doubt it´s worse than hebrew...
Are we that insignificant? ;(

Concerning the game, I had already tried apcompat.exe. I installed the "support tools" that are included in the Tools folder of the CD. I then tried "aplication compatibility tool", which I think is apcompat.exe. And then Qfixapp. Nothing worked.

I have, however, managed to surpass that "little free space" error. I just tried to instal it in my drive C, which has FAT32 (but you are probably right, it should be a installer bug, not NTFS) and it worked!
For a few seconds at least... I then choose the install folder in drive C and then it replied the following error: "the instruction at 77e203e0 referenced memory at 65726964. The memory could not be read from. Click on Ok to teminate the application".

So... I think my hands are sort of.. tied! Well, that's ok for me. I never played that S*** game!

But my little sister is going to be a little annoyed...

Well, I'll go on holidays tomorrow... Going to take a lot of sun at the beach... 8)

Back in a week! In the meantime... have fun!
And thanx for your help DosFreak! You must be a nice guy

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
OP
Back from vacation! :x

Hmmmm...I was hopping in the meantime somebody would have an ideia...

It seems I was wrong...

data/avatar/default/avatar25.webp

1297 Posts
Location -
Joined 1999-07-16
Titanus it gose like this some older installer can't read NTFS or BIG disk driver above 8.4GB so your only option is to install on Win9x OS made zip copy the folder and import the registry and any other file that are needed I don't have Sonic 3D or I tell you how to do it.

34 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-23
OP
Installed Win2000 SP3 and tried to install Sonic again...

It installed without any problems... and surprisingly it also works very well!!! 8)

Cool!!!

Thanx SHS, I would try that if this didn´t happen... 8)