Sony DVD ROM (DDU 1621) not reading CDs

I have a Sony DVD ROM (DDU 1621) connected on the secondary IDE cable. It will show up in the BIOS on the master or slave connector on the IDE cable. It also shows up in Device Manager and in My Computer as Compact Disc.

Windows Hardware 9627 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar19.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-20
I have a Sony DVD ROM (DDU 1621) connected on the secondary IDE cable. It will show up in the BIOS on the master or slave connector on the IDE cable. It also shows up in Device Manager and in My Computer as "Compact Disc." Strangely enough I show two "Computer Disc" listings when I only have one DVD-ROM connected.

Device Manager shows the device is working properly. It also is listed in the POST screen that shows IDE devices connected.

Any idea on what might be happening? It won't read CDs or CD ROMs. I can connect a normal CD-ROM on the master or slave IDE and read it successfully.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar26.webp

690 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-05-06
The multiple 'Compact Disc' entries is the obvious problem. Check device manager and make sure only one DVD drive is shown, could be a driver detection issue. Check Sony's website for any info on this. If there is another DVD listed, disable it and reboot.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-20
OP
Checked device manager. There was a generic listing. Disabled it and rebooted, no change. Removed it and rebooted, still no change. The DVD-ROM listens to commands like Eject if I were to right-click it in My Computer and choose Eject. I put in a DVD and I hear it spin up and read it. That's it though.

Any other suggestions?

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1547 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-29
I did notice a firmware update for this model drive. Not sure if it will help you out but it's worth a try

data/avatar/default/avatar07.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-11
I had one of these. and it never work fine. sometime it was not detected, sometime when a disk was inserted it frezze the pc. Sometime it just did'nt work fine at all all the time. Usualy it crash 4 out of 5 time. So I got rid of it after spending 2 year trying to get answer from sony, up[censored] firmware, posting in forum. nothing worked ! I even tought it was a chip set problem untin I got this new Pioneer drv-108. and it work like a charm. So I guest I have the priviledge to tell you that you got f...

Well that what I think and sony is on my black list, whit 3com and others for bad support and fake product. I only get f... once ! that my modo.

Well good luck.

before you drop it in the garbage can. I still use it in older computer. I don't know why but it never crash untill now. Probably because the system is slower. but if you can change it go for it.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-20
OP
Thanks for the insight folks. I am currently running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (MSDN Version). It worked before on another computer, so perhaps it's the mainboard. The previous computer also had Windows 2000 Professional. I will try flashing the BIOS to a more recent version if it's available and try the firmware upgrade on the drive as well.