Sony Vaio PCG-FR130: Which version of Linux?

Im going to be running WinXP pro as my main OS but I have never tried Linux before and would like to dable. These are the specs of the laptop and im curious which version of Linux you guys would suggest for a Linux newbie.

Slack Space 1613 This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar35.webp

1030 Posts
Location -
Joined 2000-02-19
Im going to be running WinXP pro as my main OS but I have never tried Linux before and would like to dable. These are the specs of the laptop and im curious which version of Linux you guys would suggest for a Linux newbie.

AMD AthlonXP 2000+ 1.67ghz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
40 gig HD
Geforce4 420-V 16 meg
14" TFT Active Matrix
CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Ethernet
Firewire
56k/ V90

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register
This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1678 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-27
Hi pr-man,

At this point, I wouldn't even think of installing Linux to your hard drive. Try one of the many Linux Live CDs to begin with. This is a complete Linux operating system which runs entirely from the CD and will have no effect on your Hard Drive or Windows. This way you can check out Linux without all the pressures of partitioning and such. Of the many Live-CDs I've used, I like the Mepis live CD and the new Ubuntu. After downloading the ISO file, burn the image to CD. Set your bios to boot CDrom before HD, insert the live CD and reboot!

data/avatar/default/avatar30.webp

556 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-28
I agree. Knoppix and Suse both have KDE based LiveCDs. There's also Gnoppix which is Gnome based. I believe Mandrake has a cd that has both environments.